2013 Local Food Networks Conference
Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Virginia Farm Bureau Office - Richmond, Virginia
Who should attend?
Farmers, farmers market managers, school system representatives, community representatives and Extension faculty who are developing local food systems, exploring new marketing opportunities for local foods and wanting to learn about safe food handling.
Who is speaking?
This year’s focus is on “safe products” . . . including safe production and harvesting/handling along with best practices for managing the risks. Morning sessions will include two groups of panelists . . .
- Group I will focus on dairy, poultry, meats, eggs and
- Group II will focus on produce and value-added products.
The afternoon will be devoted to Networking Buyers and Sellers. Sellers will have the opportunity to meet one-on-one with buyers who are interested in purchasing local food.
The list of speakers is included below.
How do we register?
Just visit https://vafarmbureau.org/Agriculture/LocalFoodNetworksConference.aspx
and complete the registration page.
What does it cost?
$20 per person. This investment includes all meals and conference materials.
Need more information?
Contact Chris Cook at Virginia Farm Bureau, Martha Walker, or any member of the Planning Team . . . we are happy to answer your questions.
We look forward to seeing you in February . . .
The 2013 Planning Team: Eric Bendfeldt, Chris Cook, Lisa Deardon, Molly Harris, Martha Walker
Chris Cook, Assistant Director Rural Development
Virginia Farm Bureau Federation
P.O. Box 27552, Richmond, VA 23261
Martha A. Walker, Ph.D.
Community Viability Specialist
Virginia Cooperative Extension
150B Slayton Avenue, Suite 112D
Danville, VA 24540
Telephone 434.766.6761 - Fax 434.766.6763 email@example.com
2013 List of Speakers . . .
- Wayne Pryor, Virginia Farm Bureau
- Commissioner of Agriculture Matthew J. Lohr, Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS)
- Jared Burner, Skyline Premium Meats (invited)
- David Fitzgerald, Homestead Traditionals (poultry & eggs), Goochland County
- Rosalie Potter, Donald’s Meat Processing, Lexington, Buffalo Creek Farm
- Renard Turner (goat), Vanguard Ranch, Ltd, Louisa County
- Gail Hobbs, (goat, cheeses), Caromont Farm
- Barry Jones, VDACS
- JoAnn Connell, VDACS
- Pam Miles, VDACS
- Jim Saunders, Saunders Brothers Orchard, Nelson County (invited)
- Amy Hicks, Amy’s Garden Organic CSA, Charles City County (invited)
- Marlan Showalter (lettuces), Portwood Garden (invited)
- Jo Pendergraph, Manakintowne Specialty Growers, Powhatan County
- James Barrett, Bellaire Farms (CSA), Albemarle County (invited)
- Leanne DuBois, VDACS
- Wythe Morris, Virginia Cooperative Extension
- Tom Smith, VDACS Fruit & Vegetables
- Jesse Richardson, Virginia Tech
- Jewel E. Hairston, Ph.D., Dean, School of Agriculture, Virginia State University