Farm Manager Job at the Trellis Center in Washington State
The Trellis Center, located in Ellensburg is seeking a year round, full-time Farm Manager. Our ideal candidate is someone whom is dedicated to the importance of environmental stewardship and is energized by building relationships with people of all abilities.
The Trellis Center currently supports Terravine Growers, SPC, a small farming business owned by four adults with autism and other intellectual disabilities. Terravine’s produce is available at local farmers markets, area restaurants and through seasonal CSA’s. Terravine Growers is committed to organic production practices such as use of compost and other organic material, beneficial insects, cover crops and crop rotation. For more information about the Trellis Center and Terravine Growers, SPC go to www.thetrelliscenter.com
SKILLS DESIRED – This position combines practical skills in all areas of small-scale food production, marketing and distribution.
- Experience working in vegetable/herb crop production; previous greenhouse and CSA experience is highly desirable.
- An educational background in agriculture, horticulture, environmental science, or agricultural science, or relevant experience in the above fields.
- Working ability to recognize and respond to problem situations; solutions orientated.
- Ability to work and make decisions independently with a strong sense of professionalism, integrity, and reliability with exceptional organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate with others, flexibility in daily activities and job responsibilities, team player, creativeness and a fun attitude.
- The following requirements will need to be met before working on-site: Washington State Background check, Current First Aid/CPR card, valid driver’s license
RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to
- Managing all aspects of growing operation which includes; developing multi-year greenhouse and garden plans, planning start-of-season operations (crop layout, seed selection, marketing strategies etc), monitoring crop development and needs.
- Coordinate CSA/Farmers Market/restaurant marketing and distribution.
- Assign daily work plans for Terravine Growers, staff, volunteers and interns.
- Develop and provide in-field training and supervision for growers, with assistance from Trellis staff and volunteers. Train, support and supervise farm interns during their seasonal internship.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings; planning and budgeting activities.
Compensation is competitive, which also includes on-site private housing w/all utilities.
APPLICATION PROCESS – Position opened until filled
A complete application includes: Cover letter and resume.
Please try to provide as much information as you can about yourself, your interests and your objectives.
Email complete applications in WORD or PDF format only
Sandy Spezialy, Executive Director firstname.lastname@example.org