Aspen Moon Farm is looking to hire three or more interns for the 2016 season.
Owners Jason and Erin have 3 children and Aspen Moon Farm is our home. They own 2 ½ acres, about 1 ½ of this is farmed and includes our greenhouse and hoophouses. They lease another 24 neighboring acres, which includes the farm intern house located across the street from the home farm. The Farm recently purchased an additional neighboring 9 acres, totaling about 35 acres of which about 15 is cultivated in produce, flowers, and berries. They have a great team of returning staff that are part of the AMF family. They currently have a 100+ member CSA, a seasonal roadside Farmstand, and attend 3 weekly Farmers Markets. They do a little wholesale and have a few events also. All of the crops are started from seeds we plant. They grow and sell certified organic starter plants in the spring. We love to farm and are passionate about being part of growing the local food community. They are dedicated to the Biodynamic method. They have been small business owners for over 15 years and we currently run a landscaping company out of our home as well as the farm. They farm because we love it, but also because we have the need and desire to have a profitable business. This is important and provides sustainability. The goal is for interns to observe the entire operation of a small farm from, the more obvious, plant care to, the less obvious, marketing, budgeting, record-keeping, management, trouble-shooting, and the occasional harvesting broccoli in the dark because there was a lot more than you expected under that row cover. Interns may not be directly involved in all aspects of the farm work, but will be present to see everything.
Intern positions at Aspen Moon Farm are meant for those with previous farm experience and for those wishing to pursue a career in farming. Those interested in hobby gardening will not fit this position. This is serious work and demands a person who is strong in physical body, mind, and spirit. Physical demands are high and involve long hours of work in all kinds of weather including rain, snow, wind, and dry heat; sometimes with prevalent mosquitoes too. To be immersed in the whole farm for an entire season is truly an exceptional experience and is the only true way to get a taste for the life of farming. You will come to appreciate weather, soil, water, and work in entirely new ways. You will live and breathe the FARM!! Expect to be challenged! Interns are expected to arrive ready to work with appropriate attire and the means to meet other personal needs (health insurance, phone, computer, transportation, food other than farm produce, etc…). No partners or pets can be accommodated and no tobacco use is permitted. A one-month trial period will be followed by an evaluation to see if this is a good fit for both you and the farm. Work weeks will be 5 days of 8-10 hours plus Farmers Market on Saturdays. Daily farm chores, such as animal care and opening hoophouses may be additional work.
The primary work of a first year intern involves spring plant care and greenhouse work, harvesting, preparing for CSA and markets, field work with hand tools, BD fertility and pest management. After completing a year as an intern at Aspen Moon Farm, one may apply for a second year of employment as an Apprentice( which would involve more in-depth training in machine work, seeding, and irrigation) OR as a crew leader (which involves some management and record keeping).
A typical work week:
Mondays-planting and field work
Tuesdays- harvest for CSA and (this is a long day with CSA pick-up 4-7pm)
Wednesdays- harvest, field work and evening farmers market (we rotate staff for this market)
Thursdays- field work and harvest
Fridays-Harvest, harvest, harvest and prepare for Saturday markets
Saturdays- Farmer’s Markets 6am-4pm (includes load and unload time)
We have 3 openings for full-time interns with on farm housing, farm produce and eggs when available, plus $400-$1000/month depending on experience. The 3 bedroom house has a shared kitchen, bath, and living space. We also offer a 4 month winter internship that you may inquire about.
• Must be able to commit to the full season of March/April- November.
• Agricultural experience, preferably with vegetable production
• Must have the ability to work long hours in all kinds of weather and to be able to lift 50lb.+
• Must be interested in pursuing a career in agriculture
• Must be able to work closely with a team and do well with this and be independently motivated during non-work hours.
• Must be interested in and willing to jump in and contribute to all aspects of farming, which is the best way to learn about it all too.
• An ability to pace one’s self, working faster when the job requires speed, is a plus
Please send a resume, at least 3 references, and respond to the following questions:
1. Have you worked on a farm? (if your answer is no, please do not apply, but we encourage you to pursue a volunteer position with us or a local farm and start there)
2. Describe your farm work experience and list your set of skills.
3. What will you contribute to our farm?
4. What do you hope to gain from your internship experience?
5. When things get hard, what do you do to take care of yourself?
6. What is Biodynamic agriculture to you?
7. Tell us something about yourself that you would like to share.
8. Full legal name, contact information, and birthday
Thank you for your interest in Aspen Moon Farm!
Jason Griffith and Erin Dreistadt
Aspen Moon Farm LLC.
8020 Hygiene Rd.
Longmont, CO 80503