Field Manager Job on Growing Farm in New York State
Main Street Farms is a diversified organic vegetable farm that markets through CSA, farmers markets, and wholesale. We are looking to hire a Field Manager for the 2016 season.
We are seeking someone with previous farm production management or assistant management experience on an organic diversified vegetable farm. Applicants must have excellent communication and leadership skills. A minimum two years of tractor work, and experience with organic growing practices are required.
The Field Manager holds one of the most essential roles on the farm. This position reports directly to the farm owners and is part of the core leadership of the farm. Overseeing production plans & implementation, this position requires high levels of organization, communication and leadership skills. A great sense of humor and experience training other staff are highly desirable.
• Keep all production records up to date and organized.
• Participate in irrigation and frost protection
• Manage spraying schedule
• Keep inventory of production supplies
• Keep equipment maintained, and communicate with tractor mechanic
• As time allows fill in other areas of the farm such as greenhouse work etc.
Background and Skills:
• Knowledge of vegetable growing systems and understanding of the field production process for organic crops
• Field production experience, 2 or more years.
• Experience leading teams
• Desire for and practice in thorough preparation and organization of records
• Tractor driving and varied implement use for vegetable farming
• Mechanical experience a plus.
Full-time from March/April through November, possibility of year round.
Compensation based on experience. Please detail previous machinery experience, including crops and methods, in your application. Rolling application – position open until filled.
How to apply for the Field Manager Job
Please send resume and cover letter.
Learn more about Main Street Farms at http://www.mainstreetfarms.com/