Assistant Field Manager at Rivendale Farms in Pennsylvania, 2017
Rivendale Farms is a new organic farm in Washington County, PA.Rivendale Farms is seeking an assistant field manager for the 2017 growing season. Rivendale Farms is a newly operational diversified organic farm in Bulger, PA, approximately 20 miles from downtown Pittsburgh. The farm consists of over 150 acres, with approximately 8 acres in mixed vegetables, wheat, herbs, and flowers. The farm also includes dairy cows, sheep, goats, and a flock of laying hens as well as berries and fruits, mushrooms, honey, and maple syrup production. The assistant field manager’s primary responsibilities will be to work in conjunction with the field manager to plant, maintain, harvest, process, and market the farm’s mixed vegetables, wheat, fruits, eggs, herbs, and cut flowers via retail and wholesale accounts. Additionally, the assistant field manager will help to manage and work alongside a seasonal crew of interns and farm labor. The assistant field manager will also be asked to operate and maintain machinery, tend laying hens, and assist with other farm and occasionally market-related tasks. Requirements The assistant field manager will be expected to:
- Have an interest, skills, and experience in organic farming and all it entails – from physical labor, to helping to manage a field crew, to producing high-quality food, to learning and implementing organic growing practices.
- Have the ability to lead and work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Be willing and able to work in all weather conditions.
- Be self-motivated.
- Be flexible and resourceful.
- Have a positive attitude.
- Have a valid driver’s license.
- Have transportation to the farm.