Seasonal Farm Production Crew Jobs – 3 positions available in Washington State for 2017
Our mission is to inspire people to eat healthy, sustainably grown food and to steward our natural resources for future generations.
WHAT WE DO
The Center is located on 230 acres of forest and grassland bordered by Western Washington’s Snoqualmie River. We use this mixed landscape to:
Produce food. We cultivate 30 acres of mixed vegetable crops using agro-ecological principles and engage in research to inform conservation farming practice.
Grow native plants. We operate a native plant nursery that produces plants for habitat restoration projects, educational gardens, and urban landscapes, and conducts research on native plant propagation using sustainable growing methods.
Connect children to nature. We offer environmental education programs for children pre-K thru high school to build their comfort in the outdoors and provide them with opportunities to learn about the links between agriculture, conservation, and the environment.
Restore and sustain habitat. We carry out conservation projects and research to learn how humans can use land to our benefit while protecting biodiversity.
Seasonal Farm Production Crew Jobs
As a member of our energetic Farm Production Crew you will have the opportunity to work within all aspects of our operation, including in the field, pack shed, and order delivery. Your primary responsibilities will be harvesting, propagation house, hand-weeding, hoeing, transplanting, post-harvest handling, CSA packing, cleaning, and deliveries. We harvest, wash, and pack product daily for our CSA program, wholesale, and restaurant accounts. Strong attention to detail and operating efficiently while performing time-sensitive tasks in a rapidly changing environment are a must for this position.
Our operation functions at a very unique scale requiring a great deal of manual physical labor as well as sophisticated mechanization. This is a seasonal, hourly position with a 5-6 day work week. Hours may be variable and long depending on the time of year.
Seasonal Farm Production Crew Jobs Responsibilities
- Harvesting of produce quickly, efficiently, and consistently for a variety of accounts
- Transplanting crops quickly and efficiently
- Cultivation of crops by hand and with various tools
- Irrigation set up and maintenance
- Mechanical pest control
- Field construction, such as trellising and high tunnels
- Grass mowing and weed whacking
Post-Harvest Handling and Processing:
- Post-harvest handling, including receiving and processing of produce quickly, efficiently, and consistently for a variety of accounts
- Consistently rotating stock and maintaining product inventory
- Communicating with appropriate project lead, either the Pack Shed Coordinator or the Farm Sales Coordinator, when issues arise that impact order fulfillment or CSA pack out
- Packing CSA and Fruit Shares
- Pack Shed safety upkeep and hygiene cleanliness
- Order deliveries
General Farm Production Team:
- Tracking project time and communicating with Assistant Farm Manager, Pack Shed Coordinator, or designated crew leader if forecast can’t be met
- Working and tracking within GAPS/FSMA food safety regulations
- Maintaining a smooth, timely flow with team members while working through projects
- Making sound judgment calls on product grading and time management
Seasonal Farm Production Crew Jobs QUALIFICATIONS
- At least one year previous farming experience preferred
- Small engine operation and tractor experience a plus
- Physical dexterity and agility necessary in all aspects of the job for safety and efficiency
- Punctual with good time management skills
- Consistent attention to detail
- Positive, energetic interpersonal skills
- Strong back; able to lift heavy & awkward objects, up to 75 lbs
- Work well independently and in a team setting
- Fast, adaptable learner
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity, and accept constructive feedback on work and technique
- Ability to give direction and act in lead role when necessary
- Clear, consistent communication
- Flexibility within a multicultural, dynamic organization
- Ability to work for long durations in inclement weather – standing, sitting, bending over, or kneeling
- Capability to perform repetitive physical work with endurance
- Ability to speak Spanish a plus
Additional desired qualities include: environmentally conscious, detail oriented, self-motivated, energetic, and professional.
The Oxbow production farm is part of a larger non-profit organization. A commitment to Oxbow’s overall mission and working as part of a team is critical.
This is a seasonal, full-time position, paying $11-$13 per hour, DOE, with some paid time-off and access to food from the fields.
REPORTS TO: Assistant Farm Manager with oversight from the Farm Manager.
TO APPLY for the Seasonal Farm Production Crew Jobs
Please read carefully, incomplete applications will not be considered. Email a resume, letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Finance & Operations Manager
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center
Please write Seasonal Farm Crew in the email subject line and include where you found this position in the message body.
Deadline to apply:
Applications will be processed as they are received. We are looking to fill 3 positions:
- One for March thru November
- One for April thru November
- One for May thru November
To see this job posting, and our other open jobs, on our website, click here.