BATTERY URBAN FARM is seeking an URBAN FARM EDUCATION APPRENTICE for 2017 (MARCH 27-OCTOBER 27)
The Battery Conservancy is seeking enthusiastic individuals with teaching and farming experience to assist in running Battery Urban Farm (BUF).
The Battery Conservancy is a nonprofit organization dedicated to revitalizing The Battery, the 25-acre public park located at the southern tip of Manhattan. The Battery is at the forefront of sustainable urban park planning and organic horticulture. Battery Urban Farm, started in 2011 and located at the southern tip of Manhattan, is the first farm in downtown Manhattan since the Dutch planted theirs in 1625. The farm program engages elementary, middle, and high school students, as well as local community groups and individuals, in a hands-on experience of organic farming. BUF produce is donated to schools that participate in farm programming. Battery Urban Farm includes a vegetable farm, forest farm, 4 oyster gardens, and an extensive composting program.
The Battery Conservancy is seeking individuals with education and farming experience to join the Battery Urban Farm team as Urban Farm Education Apprentice. Applicants should be interested in farming, alternative forms of education, and be comfortable working outdoors and with students of various ages. Farm Education Apprentices will gain valuable experience in the field of farm-based education and urban farming through an intensive curriculum which includes learning to teach independently, weekly take-home activities with group discussions, and designing lessons and crop plans.
Schedule: March 27 through October 27
- Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Three (3) Saturdays or Sundays during the apprenticeship period (to be assigned individually)
- Working with TBC staff to set up and staff our three (3) major annual events
Urban Farm Education Apprentice Responsibilities:
- Lead lessons, tours, hands-on activities, and other programming for visiting classes and families
- Participate in all aspects of farm maintenance: planning, planting, harvesting, weed control, irrigation, fencing, farm-structure construction, and compost management
- Organize and oversee farm volunteers during the week and on occasional evenings and weekends, as needed
- Assist in developing creative lesson plans and material for all classes
- Participate in Apprentice curriculum including weekly readings, discussion, and off-site tours
- Serve as an ambassador for the farm, answer questions and explain the project to the public
- Assist in other tasks, such as staffing events, for The Battery Conservancy
- Schedule as detailed above
- Some college, teaching and/or farming experience
- Creativity and initiative with strong communication and organizational skills
- A passion for urban farming and farm-based education
If you are interested in the Urban Farm Education Apprentice Position, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “FARM EDUCATION APPRENTICE” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Deadline for receipt of applications is midnight on March 5. The letter should include details of your availability and an explanation of your relevant experience. A small stipend is available for this position. All farm workers are given produce during the season.