Farmer – Vegetable Production and Orchard Assistant Job – Sacramento, CA
Soil Born Farms Urban Agriculture & Education Project is a non-profit educational farm in Sacramento, California. Our programs focus on promoting health and providing experiential learning opportunities for youth and adults, producing healthy food, improving access to healthy food for all and modeling land and environmental stewardship. Beyond producing healthy, certified organic produce for our CSA members and local stores, restaurants, and a weekly farm stand and farmers’ markets, Soil Born Farms has also developed several innovative education and food access programs in partnership with area schools and non-profit agencies.
The American River Ranch, a 55-acre historic ranch located within the American River Parkway, is the permanent home of Soil Born Farms. It provides a wonderfully diverse landscape to engage both youth and adults in hands-on activities that educate and connect them with the natural world, healthy food, healthy eating, job and life skills, hard work, and service opportunities. The American River Ranch also provides the opportunity to expand the production of vegetables and fruit to meet the needs of more Sacramento residents, particularly those in underserved neighborhoods with little or no access to fresh, nutritious food.
You can learn more about our organization by visiting www.soilborn.org.
Vegetable Production and Orchard Assistant Job Summary:
This Vegetable Production and Orchard Assistant Job is for a farmer with a passion for educating young farmers and growing high quality organic fruit and vegetables. The employee must be able to manage their time well and provide assistance on a variety of farm duties. Main duties focus vegetable production and orchard operations including pruning, irrigation, planting, harvesting, crew supervision, propagation, integrated pest management, tractor operation and farm equipment care and maintenance.
Orchard Care: Pruning, harvesting, irrigation, new orchard planting and pest and disease management.
Vegetable Production: Support farm manager in vegetable field operations including planting, irrigation, tractor work, pest management, harvest, sales and apprentice education.
Supporting Farm staff on a daily basis with irrigation, deliveries, greenhouse propagation, fencing, and equipment operation (small engine equipment and tractor operation).
- 4 to 5 years experience working on a diversified organic vegetable operation
- Orchard management
- Knowledge of sustainable agricultural systems
- Ability to work quickly, multi-task, self-motivate, collaborate and be flexible on a daily basis
- Ability to relate, interact and empower people of all ages from diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds
- Excellent communication skills and a “can do” attitude
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to work in all weather conditions and especially heat
- Interest in learning and growing as a leader, both in farming and in educating apprentices
- Tractor and small engine equipment operation
- Experience managing interns, apprentices, staff and volunteers
- Small engine mechanical knowledge and skill
- Ability to make a long-term employment commitment (5+ years)
- Experience working with farm animals
- Fluent in Spanish
Hours and Compensation:
40-50 hours per week. Tuesday through Saturday schedule w/ some Sundays and evenings required.
Wage: $14 to $17 based on experience/qualifications/commitment/Medical, dental and vision after 90 days
PTO (paid time off) accrual begins after 90 days (5 days per year)
Opportunities for advancement
To apply for the vegetable production and orchard assistant job, please email cover letter, resume, and two references to Shawn Harrison, Co-Director, at
firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.