Assistant Farmer Job at The Herbfarm in Woodinville, Washington – 2018
The Farm: All aspects of 5-acre production farm–seeding, plant propagations, plant/supply shopping, watering, feeding, weeding, transplanting, animal care and feeding. Daily harvest with great detail & delivery for kitchen needs. Irrigation systems, tractor use & care, tool/supply organization, composting, maintenance of farm infrastructure (fixing things). Supervision of seasonal staff and volunteers. Guest tours.
The Garden: Maintenance & design of food related plantings of raised beds and surrounding public display gardens at The Herbfarm Restaurant site ensuring gardens are presentable for guest viewing, weddings and tours at all times. Incorporate representative plantings of herbs & vegetables on current menus. Coordinate with Willows Lodge’s Department of Natural Beauty for hardscape needs. Take care of indoor plants in both the restaurant and Willows Lodge suites. Combine creativity, whimsy, and function.
Assistant Farmer Job will require:
• Outdoor work in all types of weather– hot, cold, wet, windy
• Hard, manual labor
• Accuracy and consistency and cleanliness in daily kitchen harvest/delivery
• Organized, organizer, & persistent
• Professional, friendly guest & staff interactions
• Work on own and as member of a team at farm and garden
• Work at least 50% of weekend days
• Thoughtful about tasks and striving for quality and efficiency
• Communicate clearly and timely via email, text, in person.
• Tidiness and safety with tools & hoses
• Daily care of livestock and pet pigs
• Maintain and fix equipment
• Tractor work
With Farmer/Gardener over see seasonal staff and volunteers
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Two plus years experience in commercial/public gardening preferably in the Pacific Northwest with vegetables, herbs & edible flowers.
• Physically capable–wheelbarrows, shoveling, hauling, bending, weeding, composting
• Understanding of IPM, biological soil and plant management and production gardening
• Experience with propagation in and out of greenhouse
• Supervisory experience
• Farm Animal and Beekeeping experience a plus
• Guest/Customer oriented
SKILLS NEEDED for the ASSISTANT FARMER JOB
• Strength–able to lift 40# repeatedly in the course of a day
• Strong communication skills both oral and written
• Small motor maintenance knowledge a plus
• Garden bed and landscape design a plus
• Tractor experience a plus
• Working knowledge of MS Windows, Word, Excel, Outlook, Dropbox
•Works well with others and alone.
•Takes and gives direction well
•Organized and organizer
•Self starting, motivated
•Dependable, timely, followthrough
•Takes pride in work well done
•Sense of humor
•Willing to share knowledge and gain new
•Positive attitude and not afraid to ask questions/directions
•Interest in cooking and fine dining
ASSISTANT FARMER JOB HOURS/SCHEDULES
Year ’round position. More hours in summer than winter. Share weekends with Lead farmer.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
• Pay: Salaried or Hourly at Market Rate DOE.
• Vacation/Sick pay
• 401K match after one year
• Medical /Dental coverage shared after 2 months
• Discounts: Dining, Wine, Gifts, Spa, Hotel .
• Healthy outdoor working environment
• Working for a company you can feel proud to be part of
To Apply for the Assistant Farmer Job please send resume and cover letter to jobs@TheHerbfarm.com. We invite you to visit and look around before applying.
To learn more about farming jobs and internships or to post an opportunity on beginningfarmers.org, go to: http://www.beginningfarmers.org/internship-and-employment-opportunities/