Farm Apprenticeships available for 2012 at PAT’S PASTURED in Rhode Island.
Pat's Pastured was founded in 2002 and provides the highest quality pasture raised and grass fed meats all grown in Rhode Island. Their goal is to provide our livestock with a life that allows them to express their natural instincts fully in a pasture environment. That means that pigs get to root, run and play; chickens get to peck, scratch and crow; turkeys goggle and strut; cows eat grass outside, NOT corn in confinement.
Farm Description: 100 acres of pasture and woodlots spread over 4 farm sites in southern Rhode Island. All land is managed in an intensive rotational management system with multiple species of livestock. The main farm is located in East Greenwich, Rhode Island. All meat and eggs are sold through farmers markets (4 summer, 2 winter in 2012), Meat/Poultry CSA, restaurant sales, buying clubs and on-farm sales.
For additional details and information about how to apply click "Read More" below...
- Pasture-raised heritage breed pigs– Berkshire, Tamworth & Large Black pigs
- Broilers raised on pasture and processed on-farm in a RI Health Department processing unit
- Pasture-raised turkeys
- Grass-fed beef steers
- Grass-fed Jersey dairy cows
- Grass-fed Katahdin hair sheep
- Free-range laying hens
- Free-foraging rabbits
- Free-Range ducks
- Daily watering, feeding and pasture rotation of broiler chickens, laying hens, ducks, turkeys, pigs, cattle and sheep
- Management of chick brooder
- Equipment maintenance
- Product delivery
- Poultry processing
- Assist with sales of products
- Assisting with products processing & packaging
- Assist with maintenance of on farm vegetable garden
- Enjoys working with animals
- Willingness to work long hours in all weather conditions
- Willingness to learn
- Valid drivers license
- Ability to lift 50lbs on regular basis required
There are 3 apprenticeship positions available for the 2012 season. 2 positions are 9 months long running from March through November and 1 position is 6 months running May through October. Apprentices receive housing on-farm, $150 a week living stipend and monthly educational opportunities at local farms, restaurant and with various food producers. Anyone interested must come to the farm for a one day checkout. Attitude is everything. No previous experience required
Please send a letter answering the questions below by mail to Pat’s Pastured – PO Box 807 Saunderstown, RI 02874 or email at email@example.com
. Any questions please contact Them by email. To learn more about Pat’s Pastured visit Their website www.patspastured.com
Why are you interested in working at Pat’s Pastured this season?
How does this apprenticeship fit into your personal & professional goals now and in the future?
What skills would you like to learn from this experience?
How would a past employer describe you? How would a co-worker describe you?
What skills/experience do you bring to this position that you think would be beneficial?
Anything else you want to tell us?