Cultiva Farm Management Internship (Full Season) and Organic Farming Internships (Summer and Fall) at Growing
Gardens in Boulder, Colorado
Growing Gardens’ mission is to enrich the lives of our community through sustainable urban agriculture. We envision people experiencing a direct and deep connection with plants, the land and each other. Growing Gardens unites the Boulder County community through urban agriculture projects, such as: The Cultiva Youth Project (Ages 12 – 19), The Children’s Peace Garden (Ages 3 – 11), Community Classes, Growing Gardens Food Project, the Community Gardens (General Public), and our Community Orchard.
The focus of the Farm Management Internship and Organic Farming Internships will be to support production for the Cultiva CSA Farm, a two-acre urban certified organic vegetable farm. Produce from the farm is principally sold through our on-site Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program. We also manage a small number of wholesale accounts and donate a significant portion of our harvest to those in need in our community.
Farm Management Internship participants will report to the Boulder CSA Farm Manager and work extensively with the Cultiva participants and must have both the ability and desire to engage with, and mentor, young people. The Farm Internship is fast paced and requires a great deal of hard work, focus, and care. It is also deeply rewarding.
Farm Intern Duties
- Assist the farmer in all aspects of farm operation:
- Operation and maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Installation and operation of irrigation systems.
- Seeding, transplanting, thinning, and fertilizing seedlings.
- Early season greenhouse growing for the field crops
- Cultivation and weeding.
- Pest and disease management.
- Harvesting, washing, and packing of crops for CSA and wholesale accounts.
- Cover cropping and soil sampling
- Maintenance of grounds and site infrastructure.
- Assist with the Cultiva CSA pick up (Wednesdays 4:00-7:00pm)
- Manage the Cultiva Farmers’ Market gleaning program and produce donations (Wednesdays 7:30-8:30 pm)
- Mentor and teach teens in the Cultiva Youth Project and work closely with youth leaders to support them in their roles.
- Compile and update records for organic certification.
- Assist, teach, and oversee volunteers and groups of volunteers with greenhouse and field-related tasks.
- Be available to work three plant sale shifts in May.
- Lead tours of the Growing Gardens site to groups and individual volunteers.
Knowledge and Skills the Intern May Acquire:
- Small scale organic vegetable production techniques including:
- Soil health
- Tractor skills and maintenance
- Irrigation systems planning, implementation, and maintenance
- Direct seeding and transplanting practices
- Pest management
- Harvest and post-harvest techniques
- CSA management experience.
- Produce sales and marketing experience.
- Experience operating and maintaining tools and equipment.
- Management and leadership experience working with diverse populations.
- Exposure to the operations of a non-profit, community-based organization.
Please click here to read full descriptions on all of our internships and to download the application.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
To learn more about farming jobs and internships or to post an opportunity on beginningfarmers.org, go to: http://www.beginningfarmers.org/internship-and-employment-opportunities/