Successful applicant will be responsible for supervision and management of crop production in six 3,000 sf hoop houses including, but not limited to:
- Hiring, training and supervising all related daily activities of the horticulture permanent and/or seasonal personnel.
- Providing technical expertise for day-to day crop production, including determining types and quantities of horticultural plants to be grown, based on budgets and projected sales volumes.
- Assuring that plug production , transplanting, and direct seed planting is carried out in timely manner as to assure vegetable production meets senior management and marketing expectations.
- Developing crop management programs for irrigation, nutrition, disease and pest control using organic production methods.
- Supporting implementation of new processes, procedures and policies as requested by senior management.
- Ensuring that necessary monitoring records are daily being maintained for USDA-NOP and GAP certification and for a Standard Operating Procedures manual to be used by other crop squares which will be launched elsewhere in the city .
- Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture, Agronomy, Crop Science or other related field of study.
- One to three years of experience related to the position.
- Computer proficiencies including Microsoft Office.
- Ability to multi-task and define priorities; with the ability to react quickly to changing business needs and provide alternatives.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, and stand for extended periods of time and lift and move 75 pounds.
- Particular interest in year round urban agriculture vegetable production and having an impact on the local food economy.
- Commensurate with qualifications. Recommendations required. Salary determined by work experience. Please Contact Ted Rouse at email@example.com or visit BigCityFarms.com.