JOB: BIG CITY FARMS Inc, a triple bottom line Benefits Corporation, seeks Farm Manager to manage a prototype model farm and ultimately grow a network of urban farms in Baltimore, MD.
An urban Greenhouse operation located in Baltimore, Md is seeking a highly motivated individual to supervise organic production of leafy greens in six greenhouses constructed on asphalt paving in the Federal Hill neighborhood of Baltimore City. Candidate must be creative problem solver and project manager. For more information or to apply, contact them directly via e-mail at email@example.com See more details by clicking the 'Read More' button below.
Successful applicant will be responsible for supervision and management of crop production in six 3,000 sf hoop houses including, but not limited to:
- Hiring, training and supervising all related daily activities of the horticulture permanent and/or seasonal personnel.
- Providing technical expertise for day-to day crop production, including determining types and quantities of horticultural plants to be grown, based on budgets and projected sales volumes.
- Assuring that plug production , transplanting, and direct seed planting is carried out in timely manner as to assure vegetable production meets senior management and marketing expectations.
- Developing crop management programs for irrigation, nutrition, disease and pest control using organic production methods.
- Supporting implementation of new processes, procedures and policies as requested by senior management.
- Ensuring that necessary monitoring records are daily being maintained for USDA-NOP and GAP certification and for a Standard Operating Procedures manual to be used by other crop squares which will be launched elsewhere in the city .
- Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture, Agronomy, Crop Science or other related field of study.
- One to three years of experience related to the position.
- Computer proficiencies including Microsoft Office.
- Ability to multi-task and define priorities; with the ability to react quickly to changing business needs and provide alternatives.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, and stand for extended periods of time and lift and move 75 pounds.
- Particular interest in year round urban agriculture vegetable production and having an impact on the local food economy.
- Commensurate with qualifications. Recommendations required. Salary determined by work experience. Please Contact Ted Rouse at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit BigCityFarms.com.