Responsibilities: She/he is responsible for the successful operation of the farm, which includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Supervise planning, planting, harvesting and marketing of produce garden with all-high school and college volunteer and intern participants that to date has demonstrated a 75% re-up return rate
- Recruit, train and maintain adequate participation levels In cooperation with regional schools and specialized ag programs,
- Oversee youth-managed on-site seasonal farm stand, two weekly farmers markets and wholesale produce distribution to include stocking of materials, tracking revenues and counting receipts
- Carry out general upkeep of property, including but not limited to: barn and workshops, lawns and fields not used for haying, produce, perennial bed upkeep, orchard and berry patch, haying and maple syruping, and maintaining trails and farm roads
- Develop and track farm’s budget, handling all farm purchase orders and approving all invoices for payment
- Maintain equipment and machinery, perform regularly scheduled maintenance of tractors, trucks, haying and production equipment, ensure necessary supplies/parts required for maintenance and repair of all equipment.
- Assist with special farm events by overseeing staff and volunteers, assisting with set-up, making safety checks on equipment and clean-up
- Ensure all local and CT State health regulations are met for handling of produce and other farm products, follow CT State agricultural guidelines and Federal ‘Good Agricultural Practice’ standards
- Report all problems with crops, facilities and equipment as well as serious workplace issues to Board of Directors in a timely manner
- Perform other routine farmland duties as required by Board of Directors.
Minimum Qualifications: Strong background in horticulture, preferably vegetable farming. Experience operating a commercial produce garden would be an advantage. Ability to work a flexible schedule throughout the year, possession of valid CT driver’s license with clean driving record, capacity to lift over 50 lbs. routinely and perform hard physical labor on a regular basis. Minimum two-year college diploma or equivalent with at least two years’ experience in farming or any combination of experience and training that demonstrates facility to effectively carry out responsibilities described above
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience and track record. Benefit package offered.
Please Note: This job description lists only those job duties necessary for salary evaluation and does not include each and every job requirement.