Salary: $30,000 – $35,000
Benefits: Single health, dental and life insurance; vehicle allowance; housing provided; flexible vacation.
Position open until filled.
About Fitzgerald Family Farms
Fitzgerald Family Farms is a family-owned farming business affiliated with Midwest Foods, a produce distributing company based in Chicago, Illinois. Midwest Foods is committed to providing the freshest and finest quality produce to their customers throughout the Upper Midwest.
The Family Farm, located near Osseo, Wisconsin has been owned by our family since 1974.We hope to begin commercial production in 2012 to compliment our produce supply business. While the primary emphasis will be on production of healthy vegetables, exploration of other agricultural-based business opportunities will be encouraged.
The farm consists of 320 acres, of which 60 acres are tillable. All but one acre of the farmable ground is currently being leased for corn and soybean production. The remaining acre was planted this year with squash and potatoes.
There are currently no usable buildings on the farm and no equipment; however, our family is willing to invest in the farm and provide the necessary support and resources to begin production next year. We hope to complete partial build-out and begin vegetable production on up to 30 acres in 2012.
The Fitzgerald Family is looking for a positive, passionate and energetic farming professional to be the farm’s first Production Manager. This is an exciting opportunity with an individual with the creative vision and work ethic to help establish a progressive agricultural business.
Under the direction of our family, the Production Manager will exercise broad discretion and independent judgment to help develop and deploy up to 60 acres or more of vegetable production, eventually transitioning much of the farm to organic. The Manager will also be responsible for all aspects of initiating and nurturing other agricultural-based production and other activities such as poultry and livestock production, greenhouse production, apple production, mushroom production, berry production, bee keeping, maple syrup production, agritourism activities, teaching classes, mentoring interns and organizing workshops.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
We are seeking a positive self starter with broad knowledge of agricultural production methods and excellent communication and people skills to join our team. The Production Manager will have a passion for all things fresh and organic and will be committed to quality in all aspects of work. The Production Manager will be expected to:
• Have organic farming experience at both mechanized/field production scale as well as hand/garden scale and experience with appropriate tools
• Have a commitment to and enjoyment of working with all kinds of people
• Work well in a collaborative and team environment
• Have a positive, enthusiastic, and supportive attitude
• Have excellent communication skills
• Have four or more years of vegetable farming experience (organic experience preferred, but not necessary)
• Have building, maintenance, and general handy-person skills
• Be self motivated and hard working
The job will include a wide diversity of tasks including but not limited to the following:
• Planning and executing all field planting, cultivating and harvesting activities
• Carrying out pest and disease management tasks as necessary
• Ordering supplies and purchasing equipment
• Hiring and managing staff as necessary to complete required tasks
• Keeping detailed financial records and records necessary for organic certification
• Producing daily and weekly production schedules
• Operating tractors and other power and hand tools used in production
• Communicating effectively with owners
• Scheduling transportation of goods produced
• Coordinating construction activities as necessary during infrastructure build-out
• Developing other lines of agri-business
• Mentoring and teaching, including hosting interns and organizing workshops
• Aiding in the development of branded, value-added food products
• Marketing products and representing the farm at a variety of events
• Other duties as may be assigned
Contact—please send letter of interest and resume to: (email preferred)
412 Saxonwood Road
Altoona, WI 54720
PLEASE CALL OR EMAIL WITH ANY QUESTIONS