The Sustainable Food Center (SFC ) Was founded in Austin, Texas in 1993. “From seed to table, SFC creates opportunities for individuals to make healthy food choices and to participate in a vibrant local food system. Through organic food gardening, relationships with area farmers, interactive cooking classes and nutrition education, children and adults have increased access to locally grown food and are empowered to improve the long-term health of Central Texans and our environment”
Through work with community and school gardens, workshops, and technical assistance, SFC:
- Empowers individuals to meet their basic food needs.
- Encourages the consumption and sharing of fresh produce with food pantries and low-income neighbors
- Promotes sustainable gardening practices
- Improves youth understanding of basic scientific concepts and educates them about the sources of food
- Provide opportunities for urban residents to work cooperatively
- Transforms vacant urban lots into places of beauty, community, and abundance