Job Announcement: Executive Director Michigan Food & Farming Systems
Founded in 1998, Michigan Food & Farming Systems (MIFFS) is a statewide membership based organization (501 (c)(3) whose purpose is to improve Michigan's triple bottom line: our economy, our environment & the social wellbeing of our communities through Sustainable Agriculture Initiatives. MIFFS has a history of fostering and managing effective collaborations that create and support more sustainable food and agriculture systems for producers and consumers in Michigan. An underlying assumption of our work is that agricultural productivity, environmental stewardship, and profitability reinforce each other for the benefit of Michigan's rural and urban communities.
MIFFS principal priority is to help small and medium-sized farms operate profitably, produce healthy food for all people and protect the environment for future generations. MIFFS has become a recognized leader and resource to establish and develop more sustainable food and farming for Michigan, nurturing successful partnerships that result in healthy people and communities. It has done this by addressing the issues farmers face, attracting resources, and developing partnerships among individuals and organizations. MIFFS uses a holistic or systems approach, enabling it to network effectively across the spectrum of farms, food, farm organizations, policy makers, educators, and communities. MIFFS currently manages a $700,000 annual budget for its programs and operations.
The Executive Directorship is a full-time position. For a full description of the position and its responsibilities, please visit www.miffs.org/employment.asp or click "read more"
Ideal candidates for this position will:
- Provide visionary leadership to grow the organizational membership and support and grow programmatic funding.
- Have a passion for and competency in collaborative partnering, relationship building with all relevant stakeholder groups, including industry, government, educational institutions, NGO’s, consumers, and funding partners.
- Be an effective manager of a dedicated support team that is comprised of a diverse professional staff, contractors and a volunteer Council (Board of Directors)
- Be able to leverage MIFFS strengths and industry position for maximum effectiveness in influencing and creating change.
- Understand the relationship of local efforts to effectively influence change in the Michigan food system.
- Be an excellent communicator dedicated to active listening, transparency, and accountability for and within the organization.
- Be comfortable with a flexible and dynamic work schedule that includes some overnight travel.
The executive director must be based in Michigan. The current headquarters is in East Lansing. MIFFS will consider proposals for an alternative basing location from exceptionally well-qualified candidates.
To apply, email your résumé and cover letter to MIFFS Search Committee Chair, Joe Colyn, email@example.com, or mail to MIFFS Search Committee Chair, Joe Colyn, Originz LLC, 33 Lynwood Drive, Battle Creek, MI 49014-7911. E-mail applications are preferred.
Application deadline is January 30, 2012. Position start date is early May 2012.