National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition (NSAC): The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is again offering financial support and technical assistance to organic farmers and farmers transitioning to organic production systems. NRCS has committed $50 million for the 2010 Organic Initiative available through the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) on a nationwide basis.From the
The signup period ends on March 12, 2010.
- Farmers just beginning or in the process of transitioning to organic production;
- Existing certified organic farmers who want to transition additional acres or animals;
- Existing certified organic farmers who need to adopt additional conservation measures;
- Producers who sell less than $5,000 in agricultural products and are thus exempt from formal certification are still eligible for Organic Initiative payments.
- Farmers whose 2009 applications to the Organic Initiative were deferred will receive a letter from NRCS outlining their options in 2010.