Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist Garden Manager/Teacher in leadership of daily garden classes.
- Guide students through all aspects of garden propagation, planting, cultivation, and general maintenance.
- Mentor individual students in and out of class, model respect and curiosity for learning, and encourage students’ interests and talents.
- Participate in the development of garden lessons that are integrated into a standards-based curriculum.
- Participate in maintaining garden facilities, caring for equipment, garden planning, pruning, irrigation, pest and disease management, small-scale chicken husbandry, and general greenhouse tasks.
- Share the responsibility of caring for the summer garden.
Communication, Leadership, and Outreach
- Cultivate communication and relationships with ESY staff, King teachers, and administrative staff, as well as the extended community of parents, neighbors, school garden educators, and potential ESY affiliates.
- Assist in orientation, training, and supervision of AmeriCorps members, interns, and volunteers.
- Participate in ESY, community, and school-wide events.
- Participate in the planning and leadership of ESY summer academies.
Supervision and Reporting
- The Assistant Garden Teacher reports to the Garden Manager/Teacher and collaborates with the entire ESY staff.
- A minimum of 3 years experience teaching youth.
- A minimum of 3 years experience with organic gardening and a desire to keep learning.
- Bilinguality is a plus.
- A sense of humor is a must.
- Experience with basic computer programs and writing is required.
- An ability to work outdoors in a physically demanding environment.
Application deadline: May 3rd, 2010; Start date: August 23rd, 2010
To apply, Please email letter of interest and resume with subject ‘Assistant Garden Teacher’ to firstname.lastname@example.org.