The Senior Policy Director will work full time to coordinate the CFSC’s federal policy program from our Washington, DC office. S/he will report directly to the Executive Director. His/her responsibilities include:
- Manage the policy formation and prioritization process, including gaining input from CFSC members and other allies
· Develop and implement federal legislative and administrative policy strategies and tactics to accomplish objectives
- Identify and cultivate contacts among research, advocacy, administration and congressional audiences
- Develop and maintain relations with key partners and networks, coalitions, and organizations critical to the achievement of CFSC policy goals
- Provide leadership to CFSC’s policy program and committee
- Represent CFSC and participate in conferences, coalition meetings and public events
- Supervise other policy staff, fellows, and interns
- Participate in fundraising for current and new federal policy program activities
· Reside in the DC area or be willing to move there by September 2010
- A minimum of seven years experience in federal policy advocacy, including working with Congress and the Executive Branch.
- Experience in managing staff
- Experience working in coalitions and/or collaborative settings
- Experience in policy-related research and priority setting
- Proven success in gaining passage of and/or implementing legislation
- Knowledge of and past work experience in nutrition, agricultural or food systems policy
- Masters degree in agriculture, city and regional planning, public health, nutrition, public policy or related field preferred
- Excellent verbal communication and writing skills
- Ability to travel nationally as needed
- Ability to work independently, yet as part of a team.
- Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast moving environment
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this position is based on qualifications and experience. CFSC offers excellent health, vision, life, and dental insurance, retirement plan, flexible holidays, vacation, and sick leave benefits.
APPLICATION: Send resume, cover letter, salary history, and contact information for three references to Andy Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for applications is July 15, 2010, with a preferred (but flexible) start date in September, 2010. Open until filled.
CFSC is an equal opportunity employer that considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any legally protected status.