Position Title: Development Director, Chez Panisse Foundation
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Location: Berkeley CA
Applicants should submit a resume and letter of interest to Info@ChezPanisseFoundation.org. No phone calls, please.
The Chez Panisse Foundation (CPF) is seeking a Development Director to direct and manage CPF's development efforts including but not limited to: foundation and individual donor work; corporate sponsorship; event planning; and mail and web programs. The Development Director (DD) works closely with CPF Board, staff, and Alice Waters to design and implement an effective fundraising campaign each year -- to meet not only the annual operating budget of approximately $1.2 million, but to continue to grow CPF’s investment account to support CPF going forward.
Founded in 1996 by Chef Alice Waters, the Chez Panisse Foundation (CPF) is a non-profit that works to promote an edible education through its Edible Schoolyard network, Academy Program and School Lunch initiatives. CPF currently has six established official "Edible Schoolyards" (ESY) across the country, including its flagship program at the MLK Middle School in Berkeley. These ESY programs integrate hands-on experiences in kitchens, gardens, and lunchrooms into the curriculum. These comprehensive, experiential programs in the kitchen and garden teach children lifelong lessons and are an effective way to reach all children, particularly those at greatest risk.
Through technical support and its Academy program, CPF also provides activists, educators and community leaders with the skills, knowledge and know-how to launch edible education programs in their own communities. The Foundation also advocates for a change in public policy that will provide a healthy, freshly prepared meal as part of the school day for every child in the country.
Roles and Responsibilities
Management and Strategic Planning
• Develop and manage annual fundraising goals and plans, together with ED and CPF Board
• Develop web, print and other materials to support fundraising plan
• Manage consultants, staff, Alice Waters and Board to meet goals
• Work with CPF accountant to develop reports for Board and ED
• Monitor and report to ED and Board on quarterly progress towards goals
• Assist ED in developing annual operating and program budgets as necessary
• Manage and adhere to projected fundraising budget
• Draft and coordinate production of annual report, including all financial reports
• Explore and possibly implement other creative fundraising opportunities and programs such as planned giving, membership-based programs, merchandising, etc.
• Design and implement stewardship program to increase level of giving and re-engage lapsed donors
• Expand current donor base and design cultivation strategies, using web, print and events
• Develop materials to support major gifts expansion, i.e. pamphlets, annual report, web copy and donor updates
• Manage two appeals per year in support of annual fund
• Develop web initiatives to increase on-line giving and donor base, including social media, CPF website upgrades and updates, and database improvements
• Manage donor acknowledgements, including personal calls from Board and/or Alice Waters, letters, annual report, web, and signage or naming opportunities
• Manage the creation and production of fund-raising materials
• Write grant proposals
• Manage grant deliverables and reporting for existing grants
• Research and develop opportunities for new grant funding
• Structure new requests, including budgeting and program development, in association with program staff
Database and Web Management
• Complete upgrade of donor database
• Ensure timely data input for prospect and stewardship tracking purposes
• Prepare and present a variety of reports including contact and giving history
• Expand web-based fundraising and marketing efforts
• Design and produce fundraising events at Chez Panisse restaurant, and private venues
• Generate and manage event/host committees, corporate sponsors, in-kind donations
• Work with CP restaurant, CPF staff, and CPF Board to ensure profitability
• Draft and negotiate agreements as needed
• Identify, track and negotiate appropriate sponsorship opportunities; draft contracts as needed
• Develop supporting materials as necessary
• Manage corporate relationships and donor stewardship, including developing and implementing schedule of benefits
The ideal candidate will be a versatile development professional, experienced in fund-raising research, grant writing, fund solicitation, and events. Excellent verbal and written communication skills; a history of success in raising funds for programs and core support; and a sincere passion for work with environmental and edible education is required. A minimum of seven years experience is required. Honesty, integrity, humility, and a strong will are critical to this work.
The Chez Panisse Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information about CPF, please visit www.chezpanissefoundation.org