The Northeast Organic Farming Association of New Jersey (NOFA-NJ) is seeking an Education and Outreach Coordinator to work with the Executive Director and other staff to lead the organization’s farmer, gardener, consumer, and small business educational initiatives including conferences, twilight meetings, field days, and general education and outreach.
The position requires a self-starter who has a background in and/or experience in organic farming, event planning experience including budgets, and excellent organizational skills. The person must be passionate and knowledgeable about organic/ sustainable farming and gardening and have staff management experience. The Education and Outreach Coordinator is based in the new NOFA-NJ office in Hillsborough and reports to the Executive Director.
- In coordination with the Executive Director and Board Education & Outreach committee, sets annual education and outreach goals, develops strategies, and coordinates initiatives to meet these objectives. Provide suggestions for topics and events based on feedback from NOFA-NJ membership.
- Coordinates all details for the annual NOFA-NJ winter conference for 600+ attendees. Organizes workshops covering several interest tracks, coordinates the trade show, manages conference program ad and sponsor listings, coordinates the food service, creates conference ads and manages the publicity including printing of the program, coordinates volunteers, etc. Manages the conference budget and conference staff.
- Coordinates all details for the NOFA-NJ field days and twilight meetings (5+ per year) across New Jersey. Organizes a series of diverse educational events in all regions of New Jersey, and is responsible for expanding the series to be year-round. Coordinates volunteers to help staff field days and manages event publicity.
- Manages general organizational education outreach to public. Helps coordinate volunteers to support outreach efforts.
- Notifies membership of educational events via a coordinated public relations plan including the newsletter, e-news, on-line list serves, and website content and other media types.
- Occasional public speaking.
- In coordination with the Executive Director, hires and trains education and outreach staff and volunteers, and ensures that individual performance goals are met.
- Prepare and manage educational and outreach programs budget as part of regular reporting to the Executive Director.
- Assists in writing grants to support education and outreach work.
This is a part time position (3/4 time), but could become a full time position. Competitive salary, depending upon experience. We offer a partial benefits package that includes paid vacation and sick leave.
How to Apply
- Education: Bachelor’s degree recommended.
- Knowledge of organic and sustainable agriculture and the educational needs of farmers and gardeners. Experience: Organic farming, event planning, and working with volunteers.
- Skills: Excellent written and oral communication skills; strong interpersonal, supervisory, planning, and training skills; excellent organizational skills; strong computer skills required; familiarity with database programs helpful, graphic design important. Current computer programs include MS Word, Excel, Publisher and Photoshop.
- Capabilities: High energy and enthusiasm. Ability to work well with a wide range of people. Work well under pressure:, handle multiple tasks at once: and adapt to changing situations on a daily basis.
- Conditions: Strong interest in and commitment to promoting the goals of NOFA-NJ. Some statewide travel required.
Please send cover letter, resume, three references, and a short media writing sample to email@example.com
by Friday, April 30, 2010. Email inquiries only.
NOFA-NJ is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.