The Association supports community gardening by facilitating the formation and expansion of state and regional community gardening networks; developing resources in support of community gardening; and, encouraging research and conducting educational and capacity-building programs.
The national office is located in Columbus, Ohio at the Franklin Park Conservatory.
The Executive Director is responsible to the Board of Directors and has overall responsibility for the management and operations of the organization. The Executive Director also serves as a key ambassador to the community for ACGA.
Works with the Board of Directors in achieving goals and mission of the organization
– Oversees Operations of National Office
– Undertakes Fundraising and Manages Finances
– Oversees Program Development and Management
– Prepares for and attends Board and committee meetings
– Represents ACGA and Coordinate Activities with other Groups
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
– Possess a passion and knowledge about community gardening, greening, and community building.
– Enthusiasm and experience with non-profit management. Experience with regional or national organization is desired.
– At least 5 years of experience in all or most of the following areas:
– Strong fundraising record, including experience with grant-writing, membership development, individual donor programs, corporate sponsorship and special events
– Experience with general small organization management, including marketing/public relations, event management, program development and implementation, and financial management.
– Experience working with voluntary boards.
– Experience coordinating project development and implementation, involving multiple partners and/or participants
– Computer and website literacy with multiple software programs
– Demonstrated leadership ability
– Flexibility and ability to handle several projects simultaneously.
– Willing and able to deal easily with a variety of people in social and professional situations.
– Experience with diverse communities: age, religion, cultural, ethnicity, sexual orientation
– Demonstrated ability to communicate in writing and orally. Multiple languages a plus.
– Successful record of working within a team environment as well as independent thinking and self- motivated
– Work/live in or willing to relocate to Columbus Ohio or surrounding area.
SKILLS REQUIRED AND RESULTS TYPICALLY ACHIEVED
– Effective time management to ensure timely submissions for grant funding
– Excellent public speaking ability
– Ability to manage the finances with the Treasurer of ACGA
– Ending each fiscal year in the black
– Ability to manage staff and volunteers
– Ability to organize conference and workshops
– Ability to work with a diverse board located all over the country
– Ability to work with staff and leadership of Franklin Park Conservatory to further the relationship and support mutually beneficial projects
– Action oriented
– Developing direct reports/others
– Directing others
– Priority setting
– Problem solving
– Strategic agility
– Building effective teams
– Managing vision/purpose
Applications procedure: Submit electronically a cover letter, resume, a writing sample of no more than 5 pages, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 14, 2011. No calls please. Inquiries may be emailed to email@example.com