Title: Farm Manager, Bellingham Food Bank
Type: Hourly, partial-year position. March through November. Hours will be part-time in the early season & grow to full-time in late Spring, Summer, and Fall. Some weekend shifts may be required.
Location: Bellingham, Washington
Compensation: Salary is negotiable, though will likely be in the $13-$15 per hour range.
Application Date: January 15th, 2011
Growing Washington and the Bellingham Food Bank are recruiting a manager for the Bellingham Food Bank Farm (FBF), a three-acre working farm located north of Bellingham at the intersection of Guide Meridian and King Tut Roads. In addition to the two cultivatable acres, the farm also includes two four-season greenhouses, a packing/tool shed, tractor, implements, basic irrigation, and all necessary equipment to operate a mixed production farm.
Entering its fifth year of production, the FBF grows row crops and other specialty crops specifically for the Bellingham Food Bank, and all food produced on site currently goes to those in our community utilizing emergency food services. The manager of the FBF will work closely with the director of Growing Washington and the Bellingham Food Bank’s Agricultural Programs Coordinator to develop a farm plan to grow specific crops throughout the growing season for those in need. The Farm Manager will also be responsible for hosting, managing, and working with several core volunteers as well as larger volunteer groups and will be responsible for the day to day management of all aspects of the farm. The Farm Manger and the Bellingham Food Bank’s Agricultural Programs Coordinator will collaborate on several aspects of the farm to ensure it is fully integrated with other Bellingham Food Bank projects and is visible and engaged with community partners.
This position will be an hourly, partial-year position. The position typically will begin in March and complete activities by the end of November. Hours will be part-time in the early season and grow to full-time in late Spring, Summer, and Fall. Salary is negotiable, though will likely be in the $13-$15 per hour range. Some weekend shifts may be required.
Required Experience and Skills
The manager of the Food Bank Farm will have:
1. Two years of progressively responsible experience growing a variety of row crops
2. Experience in farm/crop planning
3. Knowledge of succession planting, and growing to the demand of customers (in this case, growing to the needs of the Food Bank).
4. Practical experience with season extension and growing early and late season crops
5. History of working with volunteers and groups and individuals from diverse backgrounds.
6. Experience utilizing organic growing methods
7. Knowledge of basic pest/disease identification and management
8. Ability to implement and maintain water conservation focused irrigation system
9. Past experience utilizing and maintaining farm equipment and machinery
10. Basic knowledge of greenhouse management
11. The ability to work long summer hours, perform intensive hand labor, repeatedly lift 50#, and spend the majority of your time outside in the elements
In addition to practical knowledge, skills and abilities related to farming, the successful candidate will also be able to:
1. Align himself or herself with the missions and goals of the Bellingham Food Bank and Growing Washington
2. Manage, communicate with, and work alongside established core group of FBF volunteers
3. Recruit and manage new volunteers, and increase overall community presence of the FBF
4. Create short monthly reports/updates for review by organizational boards of directors.
5. Work closely with Growing Washington and Bellingham Food Bank staff on projects with overlap and/or shared resources and volunteers (e.g. Small Potatoes Gleaning Project).
6. Budget time, energy, and resources wisely and assist with budget and seasonal planning and implementation
Position will remain open until filled, though we hope to secure the right person for the position as soon as possible. To apply please mail cover letter and resume addressing desired qualifications noted above, along with three references by January 15th, 2011 to:
Food Bank Farm Manager
C/O Bellingham Food Bank
1824 Ellis Street
Bellingham, WA 98225