Job: Farming Assistantship in Oregon, 2013
Mama Tee’s Farmstead is a small, 10-acre farm growing diversified vegetables and fruit for CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) members and Farmers Markets throughout the Portland-OR Coast region (Willamina, Oregon). We are in our second season, growing over 50 varieties of farm fresh vegetables and fruits; processing our farmed goods into pickles, preserves, and dried goods for direct sales; and, this year, starting both chicken layer and meat flocks. The farm is located in the east foothills of the Oregon coastal range within an hour of Salem and near Oregon's prestigious wine country.
Job Description: Mama Tee’s is looking for a dedicated and responsible individual to assist in all aspects of farm’s operations. This position strives to be both a learning and working experience on a beginning farm. Input and ideas will be encouraged, nurtured, and discussed. Hard work and fun are requirements in the position.
The position includes, but is not limited to, the following duties:
- All aspects of a diversified vegetable production: weeding, planting, cultivating, propagating, tilling, irrigating (overhead and drip line), harvesting, etc.
- Routine maintenance of all farm equipment
- CSA packing, loading, and delivery to drop-off sites
- Packing, loading and selling goods at Farmer’s Markets
- Fence, hoop house, chicken structures, other small construction installation projects
- Livestock care (goat and chicken)
- General Farm maintenance (upkeep of barn and greenhouse, mowing, organizing, etc)
- Record keeping of farm production and communication daily to farm owner
- Weekly planner sessions with farm owner
Other duties could include, depending on experience:
- Web and Blog maintenance and upkeep
- Processing assistance (pickling, preserving, labeling, etc) for CSA and Farmer’s Markets
- Experience in all of the above preferred, but not required
- Positive attitude and good work ethic
- Experience working, volunteering, or interning on a farm previously
- Passion for sustainable agriculture a must, preference for those who have a desire to start, create, or partner with a small, diversified farm
- Local and community-oriented, with excellent communication skills
- Adaptable and flexible to dynamic and sometimes stressful conditions
- Ability to work independently and as a team
- Ability to lift ~50lbs and work in inclement weather conditions
This position is currently seasonal May through November, but could be extended. Position includes on-site living quarters, a full share plus any of the farm’s production available, and a monthly stipend. Hours can vary 32-40/wk, including at least one weekend day and some evenings. Please send cover letter expressing your interest, resume, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org
with “Farm Assistantship” in the subject line. Applications are due by APRIL 29nd.
Please visit www.mamateesfarm.wordpress.com
to find out more about the farm.