Title: Grower Green Youth Farm Program, Chicago Botanic Garden
Type: Seasonal, Mid-April through mid-October, 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Compensation: $13/hr. 30-40 hours/week depending on site assignment and time of year.
PURPOSE: Join a team of enthusiastic, dedicated, and mission-oriented horticulturists and youth workers to teach urban youth how to grow, market, and cook with sustainably produced produce on one of three Green Youth Farms in the Chicagoland area! The Green Youth Farm is seeking a Grower for its Washington Park/Dyett High School site on the south side of Chicago. The
Grower will work with the GYF Coordinator and Manager to be an integral part of the growing, marketing, and distribution of produce to farmer's markets and buyers.
Candidates should have high energy for and interest in sustainable agriculture and youth, as well as a commitment to teamwork. The ideal candidate for this position will be well-versed in organic growing techniques, able to demonstrate the ability to excite kids about the work we are doing, and able to work as part of a team to foster respect for the earth and the food we eat in program participants and the communities the Green Youth Farms serve.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. With coordinators and manager, develop planting and maintenance plan for succession plantings on an acre raised bed, intensive planting site.
2. Assist Coordinator in the management of seasonal interns, volunteers, and teen participant work assignments at the site, including planting, weeding, watering, and harvesting of produce.
3. Manage related site tasks including tool and machinery use and maintenance, deliveries and general security during operating hours.
4. Act as a resource for program information for project partners, community members, Garden staff, and the media as required.
5. Work with Market Coordinator to assist in the distribution of food to local food pantries, retailers and markets.
6. As necessary, coordinate with program partners to help ensure active participation by students.
DEPARTMENT: Community Gardening
REPORTS TO: Coordinator
SUPERVISES: Teens, Volunteers, Interns
-Familiarity with organic vegetable production and farmer's market operations are essential.
-Degree in horticulture or related subject and experience in working with teenagers are highly desirable.
-Candidate must be dependable, responsible, able to work independently and adapt to flexible schedule.
-Work with a diverse student population.
-Must have a valid driver's license, have access to reliable transportation and be able to lift 40 pounds.
-Work week is generally Tuesday-Saturday.
SALARY: $13/hr. 30-40 hours/week depending on site assignment and time of year.
Apply online at www.chicagobotanic.org/jobs