The Greening of Detroit is seeking a full- time Produce Marketing and Sales Coordinator to support our Urban Agriculture Department and urban farmers participating in the Grown In Detroit cooperative who are producing fruits and vegetables for
sale at farmers markets and to local restaurants. In 2010, Grown In Detroit sold regularly at 6 Detroit Farmers Markets as well as to local restaurants grossing over $50,000. This position requires an individual with strong interest in community-driven
food systems and urban agriculture, the experience and willingness to work with diverse groups, and the ability to collaborate with community organizations. The Produce Marketing and Sales Coordinator reports to the Urban Farms Operation Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the marketing and sale of fruits and vegetables grown in urban farms participating in the Grown in Detroit cooperative. This includes coordinating farmers market and restaurant sales, creating and updating program literature, monitoring and upholding harvest and post-harvest handling standards and practices, supervising sales, processing accounts, and recruiting, training, and supporting participating urban growers.
- Work with Urban Agriculture staff to develop new processing and cooperative use facilities.
- Work with Urban Agriculture staff to develop and implement farm plans for Greening of Detroit operated sites that maximize production to supplement retail and wholesale sales.
- Oversee harvest, post-harvest handling, and sale of fruits and vegetables grown at sites operated by The Greening of Detroit.
- Management of other related projects including coordination of u-pick activities at Greening of Detroit Market Gardens and local produce delivery to a CSA like project called The Fresh Food Share.
- Project based supervision of staff, AmeriCorps members, and volunteers.
The ideal candidate will have 2+ years experience selling vegetables, fruit, and flowers directly to consumers at farmers markets or to local restaurants, including
- Experience owning or operating a business including planning, accounting, and record keeping experience.
- Experience supervising staff and/or volunteers and working with diverse communities.
- Experience teaching youth and/or adults in a farm or garden setting.
- Interest and familiarity with issues relating to local food, food access, and sustainable agriculture, and a genuine appreciation of the urban environment.
- Strong organizational and written/verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency in all MS office applications required.
- Bachelors degree in marketing, community development, natural resources, plant science, or comparable experience.
How to Apply:
Please send email of your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Use the job title as the subject line. Only potential interviewees will be contacted. Visit our website at www.detroitagriculture.org.
The Greening of Detroit is an Equal Opportunity Employer.