Position Title: FRESH (Food: Resources, Education, Security, Health) FARM MANAGER
Position Status: Year-Round, Full-time
Supervisor: Executive Director
Job Overview: The FRESH Farm Manager position requires a strong practical knowledge of agricultural skills and farm management, a broad understanding of community food security and a passionate commitment to food justice and social change. The Farm Manager has primary responsibility for the planning, coordination and implementation of all work and activities at the FRESH Farm. (The FRESH Farm is currently two acres of intensive, organically-cultivated land, a 1000 square foot greenhouse, an irrigation pond & harvest barn/outdoor classroom hosted by the Waterford Country School (WCS) Experiential Education and Farm Center.) The FRESH Farm Manager coordinates, supervises and mentors paid FRESH (Youth) Crew Members, Farm Intern/Assistant(s) and a volunteer labor force. The Farm Manager will plan and coordinate all agricultural production activities from seed through harvest and will also participate and assist with our FRESH Market program, to market and distribute the produce. The Farm Manager will assist with marketing and general outreach efforts related to the FRESH Farm. The FRESH Farm Manager coordinates the ordering and movement of materials: seeds, soil, plants, stock, food, etc., from the Farm to other FRESH/ urban agricultural sites, partners, and programs. The Farm Manager will implement and help guide an expansion of the FRESH Farm over the next 2 to 3 years.
Key Job Elements:
• Supervision and guidance of Farm Assistants or Interns, and FRESH Youth Coordination with WCS staff and students; Supervision and coordination of volunteers at the FRESH Farm.
• Yearly field plans
• Seed ordering and Material Acquisition
• Greenhouse management and plant propagation
• Planning and implementation of weekly planting schedule for greenhouse seeding, field seeding and transplanting.
• Insect and weed control, fertility monitoring, and general field observation
• Cultivation activities, hand and machine-powered
• Infrastructure planning, creation and maintenance
• Irrigation planning and implementation
• Soil-building program including composting
• Maintenance and monitoring of electric Deer fence
• Harvest, Marketing and Delivery:
• Plan weekly harvest schedule
• Coordination with FRESH Market staff for post-harvest handling, sales and marketing and distribution
• Assist with Marketing and Outreach efforts of FRESH Farm and Products.
• Assist with Delivery of produce
Integration of Farm with other FRESH Programs:
• Farm Material Procurement for Farm and other FRESH Programs
• Growing and transport of transplants from the FRESH Greenhouse to other sites
• Coordinate produce needs with Culinary, Market and Education Programs
• Participate in planning for long-term farm development
• Work with Executive Director to develop strategies and development of FRESH Farm
Special Requirements: Work in field, greenhouse, outdoor classroom and office. Hard and repetitive physical work. Evening and occasional weekend hours. Current driver’s license and clean driving record. Comfortable driving trucks and operating farm equipment.
• A minimum of 5 years of full-season agricultural experience
• A minimum of 2 years of full-season farm management
• A minimum of 2 years of management of year-long farm planning, as well as weekly schedules
• Working knowledge of farm infrastructure
• Basic carpentry skills
• Irrigation and farm machinery/ small engine maintenance and repair experience
• Supervisory experience with farm workers
• Experience working with youth and interest in youth leadership and youth development.
• An ecological sense, knowledge of dynamic interplay between food system, farming, natural world, society and individuals.
• Strong communication skills; ability to work with team and community members respectfully and with patience.
• Ability to lift up to 40 pounds repeatedly, wake up early, and do physical labor 40+ hrs/wk.
•Experience and interest in working with diverse populations - different ages and various economic, social and political backgrounds.
• Qualities of self-motivation, time management, flexibility and cooperation.
•Desire for long-term commitment.
Salary & Benefits: $30,000 - $35,000 (commensurate with experience)/yearly salary. Full Benefits package, including medical and dental. Abundant fresh vegetables.
Application Deadline: October 30th, 2010
Anticipated Start Date: January 3 – January 15, 2011
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume by email or fax to:
Emily Lerner, Director of Personnel
fax: 860-444-8053 – Attention: FRESH New London/Emily Lerner
F.R.E.S.H. New London (Food: Resources, Education, Security, Health)
c/o The Gemma E. Moran/United Way Labor Food Center, P.O. Box 429, 374 Broad St, New London, CT 06320
Our mission is to encourage and empower broad participation in the hands on transformation of our food system from what it is to what it ought to be: healthy, just, sustainable, accessible, productive and beautiful!
We envision broad participation in and universal access to a robust, productive, equitable, healthful and sustainable local food system in New London, Connecticut. Practical agricultural projects will proliferate in our county; these will be vibrant and varied and well supported. They will include enterprises from seed to plate to generate money and jobs, education and wellness and all of these for public health, community development, social justice and ecological stewardship. Healthy food will become the norm in our community: wholesome food and the skills and information for best use will be common. Resources and opportunities to access this food and to build related skills will be universal.
FRESH Core Values
* Social Capital - the Strength We have Together *
* Knowledge and Awareness of the Food System *
* Investment in The Future *
* Social Justice *