Production Manager Wanted For Nevada City, CA Farm
Riverhill Farm in Nevada City, California is seeking a full time, year-round Production Manager for its 7+ acre organic farm. The farm is located just three miles from Nevada City in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains near the Yuba River. The position will start in February, 2010.
Riverhill Farm is owned and managed by Alan Haight and Jo McProud. The farm offers a 20+ week summer vegetable CSA of 160 or more shares, and will offer winter CSA shares in 2010. Riverhill works collaboratively with other regional farmers and ranchers to provide a fruit share, a grain share and meat shares as part of its CSA offering.
In addition, Riverhill markets its products through local Farmers’ Markets and to restaurants. As a community-based farm, all of Riverhill’s produce is sold within ten miles of the farm, most of it at the farm itself through the CSA. For further description of the farm, please see Riverhill’s Website: http://www.riverhillfarm.com/.
The applicant must be detail-oriented, hard working, energetic and enjoy working collaboratively with the farm owners and with interns. Additionally, the preferred candidate should have three years of previous organic farm experience, preferably on a CSA farm, with increasing responsibility for crop planning and production.
The Production Manager will be responsible for working with the farmers to ensure the timely planting of crops for all markets. Additionally, the production manager will work closely with the farm’s interns to facilitate their learning of the practical skills of farming.
Job Description and Duties
Working with the farmers, the Production Manager will:
- Develop and finalize a yearly crop plan including transplant seeding, field seeding and transplanting schedules.
- Oversee and execute transplant production, planting, field and soil management, greenhouse production, irrigation, weed, pest, and disease management, maintenance of field borders and hedgerows, crop harvest, post harvest handling, crop rotation and cover crops.
- Participate in weekly production planning meetings with farmers and interns.
- Assist with training and supervision of interns and work side by side with interns to lead them in farm work helping them focus on speed, efficiency, understanding and appropriate use of tools.
- Maintain Riverhill’s standards of production to ensure the highest quality produce for its subscribers and other customers.
- Assist with Farmers’ Market set-up, sales and take-down.
- Maintain farm infrastructure and landscape as appropriate for a farm with frequent visitors.
- Oversee the production aspects of the CSA program, including harvest days to ensure timely harvest of produce and appropriate post-harvest handling.
- Work to enhance and expand market opportunities for the farm as appropriate.
- Direct volunteers on farm.
Preferred applicant should:
- Have organic farming experience at both field production scale as well as hand/garden scale and experience with appropriate tools.
- Commitment to and enjoyment working with interns.
- Work well in a collaborative and team environment.
- Have excellent communications skills.
- Have 3 years of organic farming experience with progressively more management experience.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Housing is available at the farm and the production manager will have access to the produce of the farm for personal consumption.
To apply, send a resume and letter of interest by email: email@example.com. You may also call Alan at (530) 263-1886 if you have questions.