Title: Production Manager, Tahoma Farms
Type: Full-time, year-round
Location: Orting, Washington
Compensation: Salary depends on experience.
Tahoma Farms is seeking a production manager for the 2011 season and beyond. Tahoma Farms is a 40-acre, diversified organic farm located 30 miles southeast of Seattle in Orting, WA. We grow mixed vegetables and small fruits for wholesale, grocery, home delivery CSA (www.terra-organics.com) and farmers markets. Tahoma Farms was established in 2009.
The production manager at Tahoma Farms oversees crop production, coordinates sales, and works in cooperation with the field manager to bring crops to market, in addition to other responsibilities.
The ideal candidate is willing to make a multi-year commitment to the farm. A minimum of a one year commitment is required, beginning as early as January 1. Workweeks range from 40-50 hrs per week March-December and 30-40 hours January-February. 2 weeks of paid vacation is provided in the first year.
This position’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Desired qualifications include:
- Planning for crop production based on a marketing plan, including creating a planting plan and field map and ordering the appropriate seeds and supplies to fulfill the plan based on the budget provided.
- Implementation of production plan, including greenhouse production and management, coordinating with the field manager and keeping appropriate records. Also, regular field walks with field manager to assess upcoming planting needs and field work.
- Maintaining all records necessary for WSDA organic certification and ensuring the farm stays within the guidelines of the certification.
- In cooperation with field manager, assess and manage soil and crop health, including bi-annual soil tests, determining soil fertility needs, pest and weed management, irrigation needs and crop protection from weather (remay and field hoophouse management).
- Coordinate farm sales, including maintaining regular contact with existing customers and seeking out new ones, taking phone and e-mail orders and creating invoices. Also, regular field walks with field manager to create availability and price sheets.
- Create and implement a food safety program, including but not limited to Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) and a recall procedure.
- Coordinate packing shed by overseeing packing and processing of harvest in order to improve efficiency of packing and cleanliness of product. Control quality of product leaving the farm.
- Coordinate community relations including representing Tahoma Farms at farmers markets, coordinating the CSA, leading farm tours, work on special events throughout the season, coordinating farm communications (website, blog, newsletters, update Facebook and Twitter regularly)
- Work with local extension agents on research and grant projects.
- Research, order, and maintain supplies as needed including boxes, bags, twist ties, labels, pallet wrap, office supplies and specific parts, tools or inputs as requested by team members.
- Make deliveries when needed
- Prior Farm Management experience, preferably using organic methods
- College Degree in Crop Sciences or related field, or ability to demonstrate knowledge and experience in production systems
- Computer/Technology (Quickbooks, Excel, Word)
- Bilingual (English, Spanish)
- Ability to lift 50-lbs repeatedly
The production manager’s weekly schedule is variable depending on the season, but typically runs from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday-Friday. Candidates who are also available to work on Saturdays, or who have flexible schedules to accommodate the farm’s varying needs, are preferred.
Salary depends on experience. Year-end profit sharing based on the outcome of the year’s profitability.
Click here to view the full job description on our website (www.tahomafarms.com
Interested applicants should submit:
1. Cover Letter
Send application packet to:
PO Box 5966
Tacoma, WA 9841
fax: (253) 272-5408
Contact Dan Hulse for more information: (253) 314-8813