JOB IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE
(Note, we are asking that applicants indicate if they are eligible for JOBS NOW! or AC HIRE. Please see end of document for more information.)
City Slicker Farms was founded in 2001 with the mission to empower West Oakland community members to meet the immediate and basic need for healthy organic food for themselves and their families by creating high-yield urban farms and backyard gardens. The Program Assistant helps the organization fulfill its mission by assisting the Executive Director and staff in coordinating administrative duties. This is a great position for motivated, detail-oriented people who are interested in all aspects of community food security and food justice.
The Program Assistant will:
- Coordinate School and Community Group Farm Tours with field staff
- Coordinate publications with staff and volunteers (West Oakland Healthy Eating Guide and Annual Reports)
- Source farming and office materials with staff and volunteers
- Advertise volunteer opportunities and intern positions
- Coordinate hiring of interns and supervise administrative interns
- Create & update documents
- Field phone & e-mail inquiries
- Coordinate data collection
- Conduct data entry for program recordkeeping and maintain databases
- Analyze and report on data for evaluation purposes
- Maintain filing systems
- Send thank you letters to donors and grantors and maintain donor database
- Assist the Executive Director with packaging and mailing of funding requests
- Coordinate copying and printing of office forms, brochures and applications
- Maintain office equipment, conduct computer backups, and be the liaison with IT volunteers
- Assist the Executive Director with materials for monthly Board Meetings
- Provide backup for Apprentices, including leading tours and directing volunteer groups on occasion
- Maintain communication systems (web, newsletter, social networking sites)
- Participate in outreach events, including tabling
- Compile and distribute weekly staff meeting minutes
Work Schedule & Benefits:
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office, Google documents and calendars, internet, databases (Salesforce a plus), web maintenance (ex. Word Press or Blogger)
- Organizational & communication skills (data entry, planning, filing, managing schedules, e-mail, etc)
- Comfortable working with a diverse group of people (age, race, gender, ethnicity, economic status)
- Comfortable coordinating, collaborating with and supervising volunteer workers
- Very strong attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability to track multiple projects successfully at one time
- Spanish language fluency a plus
- We will prioritize applicants who demonstrate enthusiasm and interest in urban farming and food justice
How to Apply
- 35-40 hours per week Tuesday – Saturday (Monday to Friday is negotiable)
- Two weeks paid vacation in December plus two weeks paid vacation and paid holidays
- Compensation negotiable based on skills. Please submit your salary requests with your cover letter and resume.
- We will prioritize applicants who demonstrate their commitment to holding the position for at least one year, however the position is at-will employment.
Please submit a cover letter (including a sentence confirming if you are eligible for the JOBS NOW! or AC HIRE program), salary request, and a resume. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis with interviews to be scheduled beginning in July and the successful candidate to begin work in late July.
Applications due by July 9th. Job opening will be posted until filled.
City Slicker Farms is an equal opportunity employer, People of Color are encouraged to apply.
What Is The JOBS NOW! Program? The objective of the JOBS NOW! Program is to stimulate economic recovery by providing an immediate source of income for low-income families. The program, funded by the Federal stimulus monies, is administered by the City & County of San Francisco, Human Services Agency.
Who Is Eligible Apply for a JOBS NOW! position? To participate, you must meet four basic criteria:
- Be a resident of San Francisco
- Have at least one child under age 18 (even if you do not live with that child, you may still be eligible if you meet the appropriate eligibility requirements)
- Show proof of right to work
- Have income less than 200% of the federal poverty level (i.e. $3052/month for a family of 3)
What Is The AC HIRE Program? AC HIREis a subsidized employment program designed to stimulate the local economy by providing a subsidy to employers who hire eligible low income Alameda County residents.
Who Is Eligible Apply to a AC HIRE position? In order to qualify for an AC Jobs employer wage subsidy you must be a resident of Alameda County and:
- Be a CalWORKs recipient, or
- Be a member of a family that includes at least one minor child (under 18), and whose total income does not exceed 200% of the Federal Poverty Level (see chart), or
- Be the noncustodial parent of a minor child (under 18) who is receiving CalWORKs or the child’s family income does not exceed 200% of the Federal Poverty Level. Your income must also not exceed 200% of the Federal Poverty Level. or
- Be a low-income parent (not exceeding 200% of FPL) of a child that is in foster care if you are in the reunification process
Logan Rockefeller Harris
Office Hours Tuesday-Thursday