The Happy Kitchen/La Cocina Alegre™ Program Coordinator, Sustainable Food Center (25 hours/week)
Overview: Sustainable Food Center is a non-profit organization dedicated to cultivating a healthy community by strengthening the local food system and improving access to nutritious, affordable food. The Happy Kitchen/La Cocina Alegre™ (THK) is a program of Sustainable Food Center that provides individuals and institutions with the resources and knowledge to make lasting dietary and behavioral changes. THK offers free, interactive 6-week cooking class series that emphasize the selection and preparation of fresh, seasonal foods that are nutritious, economical, and delicious.
- Coordinate community-trained facilitators and cooking class logistics
- Oversee inventory tracking and maintenance of cooking equipment and educational materials
- Develop educational materials for events targeted to underserved families at risk for nutrition-related disease
- Assess community needs and develop new training content and resources
- Market nutrition education products and materials
- Work with the THK Program Director to deliver training to staff and/or volunteers of agencies interested in replicating The Happy Kitchen/La Cocina Alegre™ cooking and nutrition education series
- Support and represent Sustainable Food Center initiatives in the community
- Some evenings and weekends required
- MUST BE Bilingual English/Spanish (professional oral and written skills); native Spanish speaker preferred
- Experience in community development/organizing in underserved communities
- Experience producing low-literate health education materials
- Experience adapting educational materials for culturally diverse audiences
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Spanish
- Strong organizational skills including strategic planning and non-formal evaluation methods
- Commitment to promoting culturally appropriate and sustainable food systems
- Current driver’s license and reliable source of transportation
Compensation: Sustainable Food Center is an equal opportunity employer; women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Salary in the $30,000 – $35,000 range for fulltime equivalent. Position is part-time, 25 hours per week, with health benefits included.
Email resume, cover letter, references and a Spanish/English writing sample to the following address: email@example.com
No phone calls, por favor.
Resumes accepted until March 19, 2010