Capital District Community Gardens Description:
Capital District Community Gardens (CDCG) is a non-profit community service organization that has helped local residents improve their neighborhoods through community gardening and urban greening for more than 30 years. CDCG manages 47 cooperative neighborhood food gardens in Albany, Rensselaer, and Schenectady Counties that serve more than 3,000 people. Other major program areas include nutrition education, street tree planting and dietary improvement, which include the Squash Hunger program and The Veggie Mobile.
Produce Project Description:
The Produce Project is a job training program for students from Troy High School, based on the growth and marketing of organic vegetables to local restaurants and farm markets. Students use high tunnels and other season extension techniques to produce food year-round. Trainees receive stipends and vegetable shares to bring home to their families. Produce sales help pay trainee stipends and cover operating expenses. Students receive basic skill training, emphasizing punctuality and preparedness for work, the ability to follow directions and work as a team. Particular skills learned include plant care, harvesting, natural pest control, record keeping, marketing and business management.
Farmer/Educator’s Responsibilities Include:
* Farm business management including growing, marketing and production
* Monitoring attendance of job trainees and maintaining work records
* Making appropriate records available to project partners
* Coordinating trainee schedules and expediting work flow
* Balancing trainee’s skills and experience with work opportunities so that they continue to enhance their personal performance while achieving business goals
* Liaising with individuals and companies to encourage job placement of trainees
* Working with CDCG staff to optimize partnerships, training and business success
Production agricultural experience is critical, organic growing methods preferred. A record of managerial oversight and/or teaching is encouraged, preferably with a non-traditional work community. Ability to coordinate with governmental agencies, maintain personnel records and provide effective training. Successful candidate will be flexible and able to work with diverse segments of the population. Excellent written and oral communication skills are necessary. Creativity, vivacity and a love of farming will all be helpful, but not at the expense of thoroughness and attention to detail.
Salary and Benefits:
Full-time year-round position w/ flex time pays $25,000. Benefits include: Fully paid health insurance; generous vacation, holiday leave and retirement plan. CDCG offers a great work environment.
Send Resume To:
Education Center Planner
Capital District Community Gardens