Urban Roots connects young people to the land while teaching them about farming and sustainability. The youth learn about food access, hunger in Texas and how they can be part of the solution. The skills and life lessons they gain from working with Urban Roots empowers them to be lifelong advocates of community service.
The Farm Assistant will be responsible for the general operation of the Urban Roots Farm and for overseeing the integration urban agriculture with community-based organizations. The Farm Assistant will work with other program staff to ensure programs are implemented according to YouthLaunch plans.
The ideal candidate is someone who demonstrates strong leadership skills, is a creative problem-solver, has “can do” attitude, and enjoys working with young people. This is a great opportunity for someone who is passionate about youth empowerment and service, and wants to be part of an organization that shares those values.
* 2 years of farm experience in diversified organic vegetable production, additional experience in fruit production, a plus.
* 1 year of farmers market management experience
* (Required) Experience with direct management of adult volunteers and youth and experience working with diverse communities
* (Recommended) Experience with positive youth development practices
Skills & Attitude:
* Strong organizational skills and record keeping
* Ability to work hard, lift 35 lbs.
* Accuracy and attention to detail
* Good team player
* Flexibility, adaptability and good follow-through
* Self starter and ability to work independently
* Clean Texas driving record
Position is seasonal and is available early January through August 2011; full time position; some weekends, evenings; Salary $10 per hour. Must have own transportation.
Qualified candidates should email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Position open until filled. No phone calls please.
YouthLaunch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to creating a multicultural organization. We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for this position, especially candidates of color. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We will not discriminate in our hiring on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.