Teaching jobs available at organic community farm in Massachusetts, 2013
Wright-Locke Farm is a community-based organic farm located in Winchester, MA. It is owned by the Town of Winchester and is one of the oldest continuously operated farms in Massachusetts and is the singular remaining agricultural property in Winchester. In addition to offering educational programs for children, the farm grows a variety of organic vegetables, flowers and berries and raises chickens and lambs.
The farm is now hiring Lead Teachers for both its April vacation and summer education programs. Lead Teachers should be 18 years or older with the exception of former Counselors-in-Training (CITs) who are at least 16 years old.
For more details and how to apply, click “read more”
A Lead Teacher’s responsibilities include:
Execution of lessons and activities
- Teaching lessons and leading activities
- Modifying lessons as necessary
- Setting up and cleaning up after each program
Communication with Counselors-in-Training (CITs)
- Delegating tasks to volunteer CITs before, during, and after lessons and activities
- Maintaining a positive relationship with the volunteer CITs
Communication with Education Coordinator
- Meeting with the Education Coordinator to determine weekly program plans
- Providing feedback about successful and unsuccessful lessons and activities
- Updating the Education Coordinator about CITs performance
- Notifying the Education Coordinator of any issues with program participants
This position pays $11 per hour. Lead Teachers are expected to work Monday to Friday for the eight weeks of our summer farm education programming (running from June 24 to August 23, but NOT including July 1 - 5) and, if possible though not required, the week of April vacation (April 15 - 19). Morning programs shifts will run from 8:30am - 12:30pm (students present from 9am - 12pm) and afternoon sessions will run from 12:30pm - 5:30pm (students present from 1pm - 5pm). Our expectation is that a Lead Teacher would work at least all morning OR afternoon sessions over the eight week summer program period, but preference will be given to candidates willing and able to work both morning AND afternoon sessions during the summer program period. On-site housing is NOT available, though there are affordable accommodations nearby.
Please send a resume and cover letter, no more than one page long, to Rebekah at email@example.com