Lead Grower Organic Farming & Marketing job (Contract Position) at Portland Growers Alliance in Portland,Oregon
Application Deadline: January 5, 2012.
Type: Part-time, Seasonal, May-November
Compensation: $16/hour for 20 hours/week
Grow Portland is a grassroots nonprofit organization dedicated to growing healthy food. We are seeking a Lead Grower to help expand our marketing collective that helps refugee and new American farmers succeed. Our marketing collective, the Growers Alliance provides new farmers with expert marketing services, selling to local market outlets like restaurants, farmers markets, and community supported agriculture (CSA). Our efforts are designed to help growers who have difficulty accessing direct market outlets due to language barriers or lack of business experience. Our partner, local economic development agency Mercy Corps Northwest, provides immigrants, refugees, and new American growers with land, resources and training. Grow Portland provides marketing and logistical support to reach new customers and deliver produce to markets.
More information at: www.growportland.org
For detains and to to learn how to apply click "read more"
The Lead Grower's role is to provide core production and lead marketing:
- Lead our sales at the Portland Farmers Market (Saturdays)
- Assist with packing and delivery for the community supported agriculture shares (Monday)
- Assist with packing and delivery of restaurant and food service accounts (Fridays)
- Manage the packing shed at Mercy Corps Northwest's Damascus training site
- Produce diverse vegetable crops from our crop plan on one half to one acre at Mercy Corps Northwest's Damascus training site
- Assist with mentoring, administration, record keeping
- $16/hr (up to $10,000 contract for the season) for 20 hours per week of marketing labor (28 weeks: late May through early December)
- Opportunity to earn an additional $10,000-20,000 in sales from vegetables that the Lead Grower produces at the Damascus training site(Growers receive 70% of gross sales). Grow on a one half to one acre plot of land at Mercy Corps Northwest's training site. A partial work trade is possible to cover approximately $600 of $1200 land, water and tillage fees.
- Mileage reimbursement at federal rate
- Up to $75/month additional stipend for overhead fees/professional development and/or health care costs
- Production and business education opportunities through Grow Portland and Mercy Corps Northwest
- Additional opportunities may be available with organizational growth and new funding
TO APPLY- email firstname.lastname@example.org
with a resume and cover letter, in the form of a single PDF attachment, addressing how your experience and skills compliment this scope of work. Apply by January 5, 2012. Interviews to start mid-January 2012.