New Farmer Coalition Formed to Promote CSAs, Connecting Farmers Directly to Consumers – Band of Farmers
Band of Farmers: The Chicagoland CSA Coalition is a farmer-led coalition of farms that serve the greater Chicago area with Community Supported Agriculture, or CSA. A project of Illinois Stewardship Alliance, the Coalition aims to spread awareness of local foods in general and the CSA model as a way of receiving local foods.
In order to make this large-and largely untapped-potential market for local foods aware of CSAs that serve their area, Band of Farmers will have a presence at a number of community events throughout the Chicagoland area-from Hyde Park to Glencoe to Aurora, and more. The website, www.bandoffarmers.org, provides a variety of tools for consumers to learn about CSAs and to find the CSA that best serves their needs. Among those tools are:
- A searchable CSA Directory of member farms with a detailed profile on each farm
- An interactive Pickup Site Map showing the exact locations where CSAs can be received
- Frequently Asked Questions about CSAs and a list of Factors to Consider in choosing a CSA
- Information on creating a CSA pickup site where you live or work
- Email newsletters about local foods events in the Chicagoland area
- A list of events where you can find Band of Farmers-from the annual Farmer Talent Show to various markets and fests where the Coalition will have a presence
These tools for consumers looking for a CSA and more can be found on their website, www.bandoffarmers.org.