National Service AmeriCorps*VISTA Position at Growing Hope in Michigan
Organic Farm & Garden Manager. This VISTA volunteer will work to develop Growing Hope’s new urban demonstration farm & garden, including entrepreneurial garden development. The goal of this position is to both develop the infrastructure of the new site and to set up appropriate tracking, management, and evaluation systems so that the farm can be effectively and efficiently managed by volunteers and used as a community training space. This VISTA position will also oversee Growing Hope’s pilot social enterprise—Hopeful Herbs. S/he will offer gardening expertise to 20+ partner community & school gardens, including on-site visits and teaching classes. This person will also inventory and manage Growing Hope’s tool & material lending library. Farm or intensive garden management experience and careful attention to detail a must!
- Further establish urban farm and hoophouse production areas. Prioritize and develop appropriate farm & garden infrastructure.
- Develop farm & garden documentation, tracking, and management systems.
- Coordinate Hopeful Herbs social enterprise, including business planning & implementation, production, and market distribution to markets, restaurants, and groceries.
- Liaison with Growing Hope Center site planning team as garden
- Offer garden support to Growing Hope partner gardens, including managing tool & resource lending library.
- Represent Growing Hope at area Farmers’ Markets, and support local gardeners in selling at market
- Act as liaison/resource to youth programs around gardening
- Oversee volunteers, special groups, and interns at the Growing Hope Center
- Assist in facilitating garden resource allocation program
- Coordinate spring seed starting squad, a community-wide effort to grow seedlings for Growing Hope
- Be lead staff for spring plant sale
- Provide tours and on-site presentation for the community, donors, & the public.
- Assist in documenting and evaluating programs
O Monthly Stipend of $909.00
O Medical Insurance
O Child care assistance
O Educational ($4,725) or cash award ($1,200) at end of term
O Training before and during service term; Opportunities to build resume
EXPECTATION OF SERVICE
AmeriCorps*VISTA members serve full-time, for one year with varying work schedules. VISTA members are not allowed to be in school or have other employment during their term of service. VISTA members may be eligible for Food Stamps or other forms of public assistance.
More information about Growing Hope is available at www.growinghope.net
. More information about VISTA and other Corporation for National and Community Service programs, see http://www.cns.gov/
. Additional questions about Growing Hope or these positions, please call us at 734-786-8401 or email Amanda Edmonds at firstname.lastname@example.org
or Karen Spangler at karen@growinghope.