Bluestem Farm is a year-round organic farm located in northern lower Michigan. This growing season, we’re looking for one extraordinary person to join our team. You’d be working sometimes alone, sometimes with a crew of people. Primary duties will involve morning harvests, handling and cleaning vegetables, as well as sowing, transplanting, and weeding. In a few short years, Bluestem Farm has gone from duct tape and bubble gum to being asked to speak at farming conferences. We’ve got recent experience turning a neglected 80 acres into a growing and successful farm business. We also have significant experience farming on leased land as well as being workers on a non-profit farm: some of the most likely scenarios for new farmers starting out. Known for its natural beauty and recreational opportunities, our part of northern Michigan is a regional tourist destination. We are situated in the countryside among rolling hills, woods, lakes, and fields, within driving distance of a number of picturesque towns. Great spots for hiking, fishing, biking, boating, and swimming surround us. More at www.bluestemfarm.net
• Significant experience in organic vegetable production.
• Consistently strong work ethic and excellent communication skills.
• Very consistent positive attitude.
• Serious intentions to start a farm one day.
• A love of working hard outdoors despite physical demands and all kinds of weather.
• Ease with being around our two small children. We would never ask you to watch them, but they’re often around during working hours.
• Pay is $270 a week before taxes. Work week is 45 hours.
• Private furnished on-farm house with kitchen and bath is included.
• Customized farm food plan is negotiable (anything from organic vegetables to pasture-raised proteins)
• Education stipend of $35 per month, to be put toward books or fees for winter farming conferences