Organic Farm Laborers in Minnesota at Wozupi Tribal Gardens – 2017
2041 140th Street NW, Prior Lake, MN 55372
Wozupi Tribal Gardens is an organic farm committed to growing food in a way that nourishes the earth, the community, and people’s minds and bodies. Using environmentally-sustainable and fair labor practices, we grow vegetables, herbs and fruit, produce eggs, honey, and maple syrup, and provide educational, therapeutic, and fun opportunities at the farm and through community outreach. Our produce and eggs are USDA certified organic.
We are owned and operated by the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community, a federally-recognized, sovereign Indian tribe, located southwest of Minneapolis/St. Paul. Since opening in 2010, Wozupi, which means “garden” in the Dakota Language, has encompassed the tribe’s focus on being a good neighbor, good employer, and good steward of the earth.
**We are currently looking for 3 – seasonal Full time Farm Laborers. We are looking for a Farm Laborer to work in each of the following areas: Orchard, Vegetable garden, and the Green House. We are also looking for 2 part time Farm Laborers. One will work at the Farmer’s Market and the other will assist our Beekeeper.
Position Type: Seasonal
Days: TBD – based on business needs
Job Summary: Plants, cultivates, and harvests field crops. Assist with honey collection and maple syrup operations. Works with volunteers and youth.
Job Duties: Performs one or more of the following duties:
- Assist in planting and cultivating edible fruits and vegetables for a farm to market operation including greenhouse work, installation of a fruit orchard and working in a high tunnel.
- Assist in farm operations by: hand cultivation of produce, operating tractors, implements, and other machinery; harvesting and storing vegetables in preparation for delivery to market; packing and delivering produce orders.
- Assist to collect and process maple sap for the production of maple syrup. Bottle maple syrup. Deliver maple syrup to vendors at the direction of supervisory staff.
- Manage honeybee colonies for the production of honey. Harvest and bottle honey. Deliver honey to vendors at the direction of supervisory staff.
- Assist in farm-related record keeping and documentation.
- Assist with volunteers and youth groups.
- One year crop production experience, to include organic farming experience.
- Ability to operate farm machinery.
- Valid driver’s license required with a good driving record.
- On feet or standing 90% of time.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Outside work 90% of time. As related to climate conditions. May work in excessive heat in the summer in a non-climate controlled environment.
**Will need to pass Pre-employment Drug test/Physical and extensive background check.
Compensation: these positions are PAID. Salary Range: $13/hr.
How to Apply for Organic Farm Laborers in Minnesota:
Deadline: will be posted until filled