Job Posting: Farm Production Manager on St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
Ridge to Reef Farm is seeking experienced, reliable, hardworking, and dedicated individuals for leadership roles in our growing organic farm business. Below is a description for Farm Production Manager. Please see their website for other listings.
Start Date: October 16, 2013. 1-year minimum contract (2 years preferred).
: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with preference given to applications received on or before August 18th
. Position open until filled.
Pay scale is commensurate with experience, length of contract, and demonstrated ability manage employees and increase production/revenue. Includes one-month farm management integration training period instructed by current management. Includes 2 weeks paid vacation and up to 2 weeks unpaid vacation annually. On-farm residency package available (see below).
Roles & Responsibilities:
For information on qualifications and how to apply click the Read More tab on the right...
- Develop and implement a plan with Farm Director on a certified organic vegetable farm operation that includes servicing and expanding our existing 100-member CSA, adhering to National Organic Plan (NOP) standards
- Hire and direct the management of contracted staff, farm apprentices and interns, and some work-trades and volunteer groups
- Conduct and manage all production-related tractor work and landscaping (including proper equipment storage and scheduled maintenance)
- Coordinate harvests, manage post-harvest handling and ensure product quality control (includes harvests for CSA, V.I. Locally Grown market, market stands, restaurant and special orders and farm events)
- Determine CSA box contents, manage Ridge to Reef Farm’s account with the V.I. Locally Grown market and create weekly produce availability and pricing lists
- Coordinate produce deliveries (in conjunction with CSA/Market Manager)
- Responsible for: weed management, fertility management (cover cropping, compost, crop rotation, etc.), pest and disease management, and irrigation design, maintenance and management (from an entirely off-grid system of rain water catchment and wells)
- Purchase farm supplies and seeds
- Maintain detailed farm records in compliance with organic certification requirements
- Maintain a clean, safe, and organized work environment
- Report progress bi-weekly in manager/director meetings; communicate and coordinate regularly with Farm Director
- Participate in community/staff chores and clean-ups during non-visitor times; participate in Community Meeting coordination (monthly)
- 3-5 years farming experience; employee management experience
- Commitment to organic agriculture
- Ability to lift at least 50lbs and perform work outdoors in all weather conditions
- 1 or more years farm management experience
- Experience farming in the tropics, sub-tropics or the Southern U.S.
- Experienced operation of tractors and other farm equipment
- Excellent communication skills
- Clean driving record
Resident package includes on-farm accommodations with mini-stove and solar power/water, seasonal produce from the farm and orchards, kitchen bulk staples (rice, beans, flour, sugar, etc). Also includes access to the community center, including industrial kitchen (propane stove), wireless Internet, and phone, and bathhouse with showers and flush toilets.
with the subject line: “Ridge to Reef Farm Management Job Application.” Please include a cover letter (including a brief description of your farming or management background), resume, the contact information for at least 3 references and answers to the following questions:
1. If selected, are you able to start on Oct 16, 2013?
2. What is your preferred length of contract?
3. Why do you want this job?
No phone calls, please. Serious inquiries only.
About Ridge to Reef Farm and St. Croix:
For those applying from abroad or those not familiar with the current state of farming in the area, a brief contextual description: An estimated 99% of the food consumed on St. Croix is imported, yet the island is suited for agriculture with a rich agrarian heritage dating to pre-Columbian times. Fortunately, recent advances in the local food system including government, community, and consumer support have been made. We and other farmers believe that St. Croix, currently enjoying resurgence in small farming, has the potential to become a model for organic food production locally and globally. While it’s small size (84 square miles) intensifies its problems, it also enables change at a rapid pace. We work diligently to be a part of that change for the better.
Ridge to Reef Farm, currently only USDA certified organic farm in the territory, is located in the relatively undeveloped and remote northwest quarter of St. Croix, U.S.V.I, (i.e., the “rain forest”). At our primary 100-acre site, 5-7 acres of land are currently in vegetable production; the remainder is a combination of orchards, pastures and forests. We also manage a nearby 20-acre historic mango orchard, and plan to expand production to additional satellite sites on the island with a mix of fruits and produce.
We supply a 100-member CSA program with fresh organic produce and tropical fruit, in addition to weekly market-stands and restaurant sales. The farm also hosts agritourism events, multi-week educational farm retreats, tours, farm-to-table guest chef donation dinners, farm stays, and educational workshops. In addition to produce, the farm has shorthair sheep (25) and pigs (3-10) for meat production, and rotating flocks of chickens (40-200) for eggs and meat.
There are a number of recreational possibilities at Ridge to Reef Farm, and the views of the countryside, rainforest, surrounding farms and ocean are quite idyllic. There are hiking trails, dirt roads for walking/running (mostly hilly terrain), and the beautiful west end beaches of St. Croix, with opportunities for snorkeling, paddle boarding and diving. At 17 degrees latitude, we enjoy a semi-tropical climate with semi-defined rainy and dry seasons. More information about St. Croix can be found at http://www.gotostcroix.com
Questions? Please call 340.220.0466 and leave message (we get poor reception here and check calls daily) or email email@example.com