• Review temperature, soil reports and other data to make recommendations on best fruit/orchard crops suited for our site
• Research and recommend best vegetables for our organic culinary garden and greenhouse
• Develop preliminary market study to help select best varieties for the orchard and garden
• Review the mix of various varieties and planting stocks that make sense and recommend those that fit our situation and have a market
• Recommend appropriate equipment and tools
• Research and recommend final fitting of and equipment for a chiller room
• Suggest livestock to be incorporated into the organic farming operations (e.g. baby doll sheep, chickens)
• Help design necessary irrigation.
• Determine the planting plan and calendar for planting.
• Help design planting areas and border areas and prepare the area and soil for planting.
• Acquire the rootstock and planting materials and complete the planting.
• Oversee the orchard and garden for all needs: irrigation, pests, nutrients and handwork.
• Maintain calendar of likely harvest dates and plan for needed staffing appropriately.
• Participation in the care and use of the animals.
• Build and maintain relationship with restaurants, farmer’s market opportunities and commercial buyers.
• Willingness to otherwise join in all the necessary care and maintenance needs for the property.
• College degree plus additional specialized training.
• Minimum three years hands-on experience in organic farming.
• Knowledge of, or willingness to learn, needed animal husbandry skills.
• Knowledge of, or willingness to learn, needed viticulture farming skills.
• Commitment to organic and sustainable agriculture with a desire for continued education.
• Healthy, strong, motivated and articulate.
A full-time caretaker is already in residence and eager to participate in the development of our organic/sustainable vision. Our motto is “Simply Sustainable, Only Organic, Definitely Delicious.” Please email a statement of your interest and qualifications as well as questions to nobody.