- A strong background in growing organic vegetables, fruits, herbs and cutting flowers
- Experience in cover cropping, crop rotations and composting
- Experience in weed and pest control using organic practices
- Excellent organization, communication, and managerial skills
- Elawa is a non-profit foundation, and we depend on a sizeable volunteer force for all aspects of our operation. Candidate must be able to work with volunteers of all skill levels.
- Ability to be self-directed as well as work with a team
- Daily management and maintenance of garden to facilitate proper planting, care, and harvest of fruit, vegetables, cut flowers and herbs.
- Keep annual records of planting and soil treatment, and consult past records to ensure soil and plant health
- Develop annual ordering and planting plan
- Maintain accurate and timely financials, invoices, deposits, etc. This will include monthly cash balance reports, income statements or balance sheets.
- Prepare budgets for garden in a timely fashion
- Expand volunteer program
- Train and supervise volunteers
- Coordinate calendar of garden events with Executive Director
- With assistance from Garden Stewards, develop plans for fundraising events, holiday markets, plant sales, farm dinners, etc.
- Work with Market Manager in planning, growing, and harvesting produce for sale
- Develop relationships with local restaurants and chefs who would be interested in using organic produce from Elawa
Minimum Requirements Necessary to do This Job:
Education: Bachelor degree in Horticulture Science, or working knowledge and expertise in organic practices including composting, crop rotation, cover crops, pest and disease management, organic soil amendments.
Experience: 3+ years of horticultural experience. 2+ years of management experience.
Skills: Requires strong computer skills, such as word processing, spreadsheets and presentation software.
Working Conditions: Outside work, often in rain, wind and heat. Some weekend work will be required. The Garden Manager, though assisted by seasonal workers and volunteers, will be expected to assume ultimate responsibility for maintaining the garden. Climate-controlled office space.
Work with exdelllent visionaries, and varmers who are politically astute.
Full time position – salary will be contingent upon qualifications and experience.
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org