Title: Farm to School and Youth Community Food Student Assistant
Start Date: May or June 2009
Hours: 10-15 hours a week; flexible to increase hours up to 20 per week during summer months and semester breaks
The C.S. Mott Group for Sustainable Food Systems at Michigan State University is seeking a part-time student assistant to support the Farm to School (FtS) and Youth Community Food (YCF) Outreach Specialists. The position begins in summer 2009 until August 23rd, with the possibility to continue into the academic year. The student will be hired as Research Assistant III at $10/hour.
The C.S. Mott Group for Sustainable Food System (Mott Group) engages communities in applied research and outreach to promote sustainable food systems with a goal to improve access and availability to healthy, locally-produced food. For more information on the Mott Group, please visit our website at www.mottgroup.msu.edu.
2009/2010 projects and programs for which the student will provide assistance include:
• Website support for mifarmtoschool.msu.edu and miyouthandfood.msu.edu
o Updating and uploading content of the Michigan FtS and YFC websites
o Write and edit blog entries as needed
o Video and photography, from shoot to post production, for web posting using Moviemaker, YouTube, and/or other multimedia software.
• Manage Michigan FtS and YouthGrow listservs
o Use listserv manager to update and maintain listserv membership
o Periodically compile and send out information provided by the FtS Specialist through the FtS listserv
o Compile and write monthly e-newsletter for distribution through YouthGrow listserv
• Manage and organize data from various projects with direction from FtS & YCF Specialists
o Enter and manage quantitative and qualitative data from interviews, focus groups, surveys, etc into Excel formats for analysis
o Transcribe interview voice recordings and code qualitative data
o Assist in organizing and transcribing evaluation data from Youth Farm Stand projects
o Visually map FtS inquires, projects and resources across the state using GIS or other mapping application programs
o Assist in survey projects from design, implementation, and data management
• Travel within Michigan to provide support for events, conferences, workshops, etc., schedule permitting
• Familiarity with the following computer software/programs:
• Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Publisher, & PowerPoint)
• Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 & MODx
• Flip Share
• Windows XP Movie Maker, and CyberLink Power Director
• Microsoft Outlook
• Excellent writing and editing skills
• Drivers license and good driving record (required for driving MSU vehicles)
• Experience with Microsoft Office
• Willingness and ability to travel and work occasionally on nights/and or weekends for events, as needed and schedule allows
• Ability to multitask and adapt to a variety of tasks
• Ability to maintain work schedule commitments
• Be ready to roll up sleeves and dig in!
• Experience with Excel software to manage data, produce spreadsheets, and perform simple data analysis Experience creating and editing digital video and other media
• Experience with Dreamweaver and/or MODx and maintenance of web pages and blogs
• Experience and knowledge of creating and editing video (digital)
• Interest in sustainable agriculture and locally-integrated food systems
If you are interested in applying for this position, please contact Colleen Matts at email@example.com or 517.432.0310. Please send a letter of interest, resume, a short writing sample, summer and fall availability, and contact information for two references.