The Real Food Fellowship is a nine-month program beginning June 2011 that supports 8-10 emerging leaders (ages 18-29) around the county to become powerful voices for food justice in their communities and on the national scene. We welcome organizers, artists, and generally awesome people who are newer to the food movement as well as food justice advocates looking to deepen their work.
Are you or someone you know between the ages of 18-29? Have food or farming impacted your life? Are you active in your community? Want to be part of a national movement of young people transforming our food system? If you answered yes to the above, Live Real’s Real Food Fellowship is for you! We seek candidates with the creativity, charisma, and courage to change the world!
Live Real is a new initiative uniting youth and communities across the country. Our mission is to build community around food cultures and policies based in respect for ourselves, each other, and the earth.
The program will connect fellows with peers and mentors, and it will develop their communications and leadership skills. Fellows will serve as connectors and spokespeople in a growing movement for an equitable and ecological food system. They will identify new leaders in their communities, represent Live Real at conferences and other events, and influence the national debate about food through media/art projects.
More information about fellowship goals, timeline, benefits, and expectations are available here (www.realfoodfellowship.weebly.com).
Who We’re Looking For
The following are considered in the selection process for Year 1:
- 18 to 29 years in age
- People with experience living and/or working in communities struggling with an unjust food system, and with some experience addressing social justice issues, including immigration, education, criminalization, affordable housing, and environmental justice.
- People with the passion and commitment to create a food system that works for people and the planet.
- Commitment to Live Real values, including movement-building
- Strengths and skills in creative expression (cooking, art, music, dance, poetry, facilitation, graphics, film, social media, etc) and willingness to apply them in local work and in national campaigns.
- Applicants are sought throughout the United States. We especially encourage applicants from Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania.
Applications must be postmarked by, May 8th, 2011.
Finalists may be contacted for an interview the following week. All fellows will be informed of their selection by the end of May. The first event will be an in-person orientation scheduled for June 24-26. Travel, lodging, and food will be provided.
Applicants may submit materials in three ways:
- Online E-mail (email@example.com), or
- mail to: Live Real’s Real Food Fellowship 24 Croxton Avenue, Oakland, CA 94611
Applicants will be notified within 24 hours that their application has been received.
Inquiries can be directed offline to Hai Vo (firstname.lastname@example.org).