Who is Subject to FDA’s New FSMA Food Facilities Rule? - This is a multi-part series analyzing FDA’s recently released Preventive Controls Rule for Human Food, and the rules and requirements for farms and facilities that may fall under its purview.
What We Can Learn from the 2014 Organic Production Survey - Last week the National Agriculture Statistics Service released the results of the 2014 Organic Production Survey. This is the first comprehensive survey of the organic industry since 2008...
Shutdown or No Shutdown and What Does It All Mean for Agriculture
- Part 1 - This first post addresses those farms and food enterprises that are exempt from the rule.
- Part 2 - This post explores exemptions from certain parts of the rule for farm mixed-type facilities and small-scale facilities.
- Part 3- This post explores the requirements for facilities that are fully covered by the rules, including alternate requirements for facilities that supply from farms and small facilities.
- As Congress begins to recover from Pope Francis’ visit to the Capitol and process Leader Boehner’s (R-OH) announcement that he will leave Congress in October, it will once again be facing the task of how to fund the government and prevent a shutdown with only days left before the end of the fiscal year...
The Role of Publicly Funded Plant Breeding in the Future of Food
- On September 21, one of the leading plant breeding experts in the country came to Washington, D.C. to discuss the importance of public funding for plant breeding research during two Congressional briefings for Senate and House staff...
New Publication Highlights Opportunities and Challenges for Organic Transition - A new publication, Making the Transition to Organic: Ten Farm Profiles, highlights organic opportunities and offers strategies to address the unique challenges that transitioning producers face...