Understanding the farm bill reauthorization process is never easy, but this time around it will be more challenging than ever. American Farmland Trust, Wholesome Wave, Northeast Sustainable Agriculture Working Group and New England Farmers Union are hosting two free webinars to help farm, food and conservation advocates better understand the 2012 Farm Bill reauthorization process. You’ll learn what’s at stake for USDA programs that protect farmland, address environmental challenges, improve food access, and revitalize local and regional food systems in the Northeast.
Save the dates and register for these two farm bill webinars:
- Conservation : Friday, December 16, 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Local and Regional Food Systems: Monday, December 19, 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
The first webinar will focus specifically on the Conservation Title of the farm bill. The second webinar will focus on USDA programs that support local and regional food system development, improve local food access, and help farmers expand production and markets. Webinar speakers will include Congressional staff, staff of national and regional farm, food and conservation organizations, and state government officials. A detailed agenda will be available early next week.
Both webinars will address these key questions:
- What is the likely timetable for farm bill consideration?
- What are the issues driving this farm bill, and what directional changes in programs and funding in these issue areas might result?
- What are some of the farm bill priorities that have been identified by members of Congress from the Northeast and state agencies and organizations in the region?