Urban Farm Internship in New Jersey - 2015
Grow it Green Morristown (New Jersey) is seeking two reliable, hands-on, farm interns to assist with the cultivation and teaching opportunities at the Urban Farm at Lafayette. The cultivated area of our farm is approximately one-half acre. All of our farm practices follow organic recommendations and emphasize overall sustainability, but we are not certified organic.
Beyond being a farm, The Urban Farm at Lafayette (New Jersey) is an educational center for the community and the 4,700 children of the Morris School District, making this job opportunity distinct from many typical farm jobs. The Farm Interns will play an important role assisting with educational projects involving the farm. This will require self-confidence and a professional attitude, as well as being able to deal with a variety of diverse groups. Our interns must be able to work with groups of youth and adults.
The Urban Farm Interns will be responsible for assisting in food production, education, and helping coordinate the distribution of produce to Grow it Green Morristown’s various constituencies. Interns should desire to learn more about gardening and production of food, as well as have a desire to work with children and the public. We are a community oriented non-profit, as such we will expect the intern to help with programs and classes at the garden.
As the garden is located on school district property and interns will be working with District children, the applicant must be able to pass a criminal background check and submit to fingerprinting along with taking a Mantoux skin test.
Duties will include:
Hands on physical labor
A mature, positive attitude
- Basic care, feeding, and tending of a large-scale vegetable garden
- Using farm tools such as pruners, wheelbarrows, hoses, etc.
- Must be able to lift heavy loads (such as soil, compost, rocks, etc.)
- Basic knowledge of carpentry tools
- Must be comfortable using a gas operated tools such as lawn mower and weed-whacker.
Other items that are important to both you and us
- Dependable, organized, flexible and have a sense of humor.
- Can be flexible due to weather constraints (i.e. heavy rain one day may change the work schedule)
- Must be personable, like working with all kinds of people including children and our diverse community members
- Work as a member of a team
- A strong work ethic and the ability to work independently, with minimal oversight
- Excellent communication skills
- Some office work will be required.
- Work can sometimes be off-site, like at our community garden locations or school classrooms.
- Spanish speaking is a plus
- Must have own transportation.
- NJ Transit train station is located within one mile of the Urban Farm
- Be able to work odd hours
This is a paid seasonal based position. We have work available from mid-April through Late October. The work is part-time up to 25 hours a week for 20 weeks. During the months of June-August, the intern must be willing to work on Saturdays each week.
This position is an outdoor job and requires the ability to work in a variety of weather conditions, including very hot and humid weather. On days where outdoor work is impossible, interns may be asked to participate in office related work or reschedule a workday. The lunch hour is unpaid. There is no housing provided. Submission deadline for the position is March 10th
As we will consider multiple applicants to cover our needs, on your application, please clearly state the dates you are available to start and end your internship.
When responding, please include an attached cover letter and resume. Please send application to Shaun Ananko at Farmershaun@growitgreenmorristown.org
Grow It Green Morristown provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Farmer Shaun • Farm Manager - 973.206.4177
T • 973.936.9180
14 Maple Ave • Suite 300 • Morristown, NJ 07960 • growitgreenmorristown.org