The Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture (CUESA) is seeking a full-time staff member to promote urban farming, sustainable food, and local agriculture through their website, weekly email newsletter, and printed materials.
CUESA is a San Francisco nonprofit that envisions a healthy world nourished by environmentally sound, humane, economically viable, and socially just food systems. We operate the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market and offer education programs that help people understand where their food comes from and how it is produced, and that inspire people to work toward a more sustainable way to eat.
The Online Education Manager job involves updating, managing, and improving CUESA’s website. He or she will produce our email newsletter, including writing feature articles and other content, and will contribute to CUESA’s social media presence. The position also involves graphic design and layout, such as producing handouts, signage, and displays.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned):
• Maintain and improve CUESA’s website using our content management system: write new content, regularly update calendar and other pages, change the banner and home page, develop new sections and features, work with consultants to troubleshoot back-end problems, etc.
• Write and/or solicit writing of feature articles and other content for CUESA’s weekly email newsletter.
• Build email newsletter in Dreamweaver template
• Take photos for website and newsletter
• Contribute to CUESA’s social media presence
• Coordinate creation, production and management of educational signage and displays, including annual revisions of farmer and vendor profiles
• Adapt selected feature articles to produce handouts for the CUESA information booth
• Work with Director of Education to develop and complete additional projects, such as extra website features or special displays, as time allows and as determined by CUESA’s strategic plan and education plan
• Supervise volunteers assisting with assigned programs & activities
• Coordinate communication and messaging with CUESA’s mission and values
• Participate in regular departmental and staff meetings; communicate and network with all staff
• Assist with the work of other departments when needed, such as graphic design support for annual fundraiser events
Required skills and qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, sustainability or food systems-related field, or equivalent career experience
• Outstanding writing skills, especially journalism and/or interviewing experience
• Familiarity with and personal commitment to sustainable and local food systems; experience working in the field is desired
• Some knowledge of content management systems and Dreamweaver and experience with website design or maintenance are preferred
• E-mail newsletter production experience preferred
• A good design aesthetic is highly desired; experience and knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop preferred
• Social media experience preferred
• Ability to consistently meet deadlines
• Very strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills, including tact and diplomacy
• Team player; natural ability to work well with others
This full-time, non-exempt position reports to the Director of Education and has no supervisory responsibilities beyond management of volunteers.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and one or more short writing samples to Dave Stockdale, firstname.lastname@example.org
. Applications will be accepted through August 22. No phone calls, please.