Youth Garden Coordinator in Utah at Wasatch Community Gardens
Application deadline: January 13, 2017, 5pm
Description: Full-time, permanent staff position available in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Wasatch Community Gardens is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization in Salt Lake City, Utah that works to empower people of all ages and incomes to grow and eat healthy, organic, local food. Wasatch Community Gardens achieves its mission by providing access to gardening, land, and education.
The WCG Youth Gardening Program works with youth in four programs to develop the skills, awareness, and knowledge they need to grow, prepare, and eat nutritious food. Our goal is to empower youth to make healthy choices for themselves, their community, and the environment. Over the past year, more
than 300 primarily low-income youth participated in our Youth Garden Club. This program engages participants, ages 5-12, in after school classes that teach food growing skills, provide access to healthy and local food, and offer a unique garden-based experience.
The Youth Garden Coordinator is primarily responsible for two things: maintaining the two teaching gardens and teaching the Youth Garden Club classes. This position requires strong leadership skills, the ability to work independently, and a passion for teaching youth to grow and eat healthy, organic, local food.
Primary Responsibilities for Youth Garden Coordinator in Utah:
• Manage all aspects of planning and maintaining two teaching gardens using sustainable and organic practices
• Collaborate with Youth Program Director to design and maintain teaching gardens as outdoor classrooms that are safe, stimulating, and welcoming
• Harvest, record, and distribute produce from the teaching gardens
• Facilitate garden volunteer groups, garden crews, and staff workdays
• Collaborate with Community Education Director and Community Gardens team to maintain shared areas and schedule use of the gardens
• Teach weekly classes in the gardens with students from partnering social service agencies
• Provide a safe, active, and engaging environment for diverse youth participants
• Document outcomes of Youth Garden Club lessons and review program effectiveness with Youth Program Director
• Cultivate relationships with partner agencies
• Participate in staff meetings and trainings
• Assist with Wasatch Community Gardens events including:
o Spring Plant Sale fundraiser (one Saturday in May)
o Urban Garden and Farm Week (one Saturday in June)
o Tomato Sandwich Party (one Saturday in September)
• Attend agriculture, education, and community engagement trainings with other youth educators and Youth Program Director
• Demonstrated experience in gardening, farming, or education OR Bachelor’s degree
• Experience working with youth ages 5-12, particularly in an outdoor setting
• Organized, motivated, and able to work independently and as part of a group
• Ability to build relationships with youth from diverse ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds
• Desire to work outdoors in variable weather conditions
• Excellent communication skills
Other Preferred Experience
• Experience with tools used in basic carpentry, landscaping, and garden work
• Knowledge of nutrition and basic cooking skills
• Ability to lift 50 lbs and a good level of physical fitness
• Familiarity with local resources (gardening, community, and environmental)
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, comfort using Gmail and Google calendar
• Ability to drive a manual vehicle
A reliable method of transportation. Applicant must submit to and clear a background check.
40 hours/week, semi-flexible schedule, some evenings and weekends.
Salary and benefits for Youth Garden Coordinator in Utah:
Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Starting salary: $28,000-$31,000. Includes health insurance, paid holidays, and generous vacation package.
TO APPLY for Youth Garden Coordinator in Utah:
Send cover letter; resume; names, titles, and phone numbers of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm, January 13, 2017. Please put “Youth Garden Coordinator” in the subject line. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.