GREENHORNS GRAINS PROJECT (Part-time position available):
Greenhorns is pleased to be partnered with the Mendocino Grain Project to convene a series of events and programs about regional grain-shed revival. In support of this work, we are looking to hire for a part-time position, located in Northern California.
The Mendocino Grain Project aims to reintroduce local grain production in Mendocino County and to support a local grain economy in the region. They dry-farm grains and legumes and mill their own flour and cereal. They support other grain growers in the area by harvesting, cleaning, and milling their grains. Their granary is in Ukiah, California, and they farm at Nelson Family Vineyards in the Russian River Valley south of Ukiah.
Prerequisites for the part time position:
- Drivers license including access to a vehicle and experience in driving pick-ups, tractors, or other machinery
Overall positive health including ability to lift at least fifty pounds.
Enthusiastic, positive spirit
- Some farming experience
- Passion for sustainable agriculture and grains
- Strong interest in learning-through-doing
- Willing to do basic labor as well as higher-skilled work
- Mechanical aptitudes and experience
- Excel spreadsheet, web, and social media literate
- Willing to learn organizing skills
- Good with people, good with details, good listener, good learner
- Strong commitment to the Mendocino Regional Foodshed
Specific tasks included in position:
- Learning the skills of apprenticing with Doug Mosel in his work
- Support Doug in operating and maintaining equipment involved in all aspects of grain production and processing
- Support the training of other farmers in the use of such equipment
- Assist in serving grain-share (CSA-style) and other customers
- Facilitating regional collaboration on grain-shed infrastructure
- Coordinating a national gathering of regional grain-shed stakeholders
Please send a formal cover letter stating your interest in and understanding of the job. Please send your resume along with three references, at least one of them in production agriculture (please include both email and phone numbers). Expect that the hiring period will take at least five weeks, we will be in touch. Please send all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with “GRAINS PROJECT” in the subject line.